Teacher Knows Best

1 Tinsley

One Year Ago

I mentally counted the kids as they loaded up the bus to head on our little fieldtrip to Frisco Texas. We still had about two months before school actually started so this was just our summer crew, and we were taking them to a hockey rink so they could skate and play a little bit. We taught the kids that were a little behind in reading and math to help keep them at their grade level. I loved my job. I loved these kids. What I didn't love was field trip days, they were always so hectic. Here I am taking fifteen 8 and 9-year-old kids out of the school with my aid Billy, or Mr. M. He was way more confident doing things like this than I ever will be.

I shouldn't be too worried I mean the school rented out the entire rink, so I just had to make sure none of the kids left the building, it really isn't that hard, and we had 3 of the dads come with us as well, apparently no moms cared for this trip. Well one did but we already had enough chaperones. I've also never been on an ice rink in my life and was supposed to be out there helping these kids. Obviously, I didn't set this up, Billy did. He kept telling me I'd have a blast if I gave it a shot. Apparently, it was one of his favorites things to do, and since he constantly asks me out on dates, this was his sly way of getting to see me away from the school, I guess.

I sat down in my seat and let the driver know we were ready to go, and she headed towards the rink itself.

"Aren't you excited?" I looked at Billy and faked a smile.

"Can't wait."

"Ms. Sawyer! My dad just said he thinks were going to be able to meet some of the pros!" I turned to look at one of my students.

"Maybe." Like I said I was not the one to set this up I have no idea what we are even doing besides skating on the ice.

Twenty minutes later I hopped off the bus to find someone to let them know we were here. Everyone followed as we headed into the Arena and right outside of the locker rooms.

"Okay thank you everyone for joining us today, we're so glad you guys could make it!" A very cheery woman spoke to us all. She looked like she was straight out of a magazine with her bleach blonde hair. "So, we always start with a tour before heading to the ice, you guys ready?" A collective 'yea' sprung from all the kids.

"Billy, I'm going to find a bathroom you have this?" He nodded.

"You really don't want to see this?" I just shrugged my shoulders and walked towards the restroom sign. I didn't even have to go to the bathroom I just needed to back away from this suffocating feeling in my chest.

My dad loved hockey; it was his favorite sport. I watched it all the time when I was younger and he always promised he'd take me to a game, and ice skating in general, but that never happened. Seeing as how I had to bury him less than two weeks ago this was not the ideal trip for me, on top of the fact that I've never even been rollerblading, they're similar right? I don't know.

After my nerves finally calmed down, I walked out of the bathroom, and nobody was in sight so instead of attempting to snoop around or end up arrested I just headed for the ice. I sat down on the players side and dropped my skates next to me, not knowing why I even brought them to begin with. I looked out to the couple of guys that were on the ice shooting around a puck and giggling about something I couldn't hear. I looked down at my phone to let Billy know where I was, and when I looked back up, I jumped at the ice hitting the wall as one of the guys came to a stop in front of me.

"Sorry didn't mean to scare ya, you coming out on the ice?" His smile was gorgeous. I let out a nervous giggle.

"No, I don't want to break something."