~Prologue pt. 2~

My heart rate picked up speed but I remained level headed. This was real. She could die. I could die. And it was up to us to save her.

~~

I began to take very small steps forward as to not surprise the deviant. But quickly he snapped his head forward and laid eyes on me. They widened in surprise and he shot instinctively. I shrank away to dodge the bullet. I heard it sink into something and I looked up. My view was blocked by a body. I tilted my head upward and Connor stood there, slowly retaliating from being shot in the arm. Blue blood was splattered around me and on my face.

"What the hell!?" I shouted with surprise. He straightened up without a response and began to walk forward.

"Hi Daniel!" Connor shouted. "My name is Connor." I stood up slowly and watched with caution. I then noticed a man on the ground a little ways ahead of me. I could see the rise and fall of his body. He was still alive. I took a step forward but Daniel saw me.

"Stay where you are!!" he screamed as he pointed the gun at me. I raised my hands in surrender and stayed in my place. He then returned his focus to Connor. "How do you know my name?" He asked. I was actually wondering the same thing.

"I know a lot of things about you." Connor replied. I watched the police android carefully. His body language and tone of voice was calm and smooth but at the same time it carried authority and power. It was all on purpose, I knew that. Connor didn't truly feel sympathy or fear like the deviants did. When it was expressed in Connor, I could only assume it was generated to aid in the success of his mission. He only faked it to gain the deviants trust and keep him calm. 

I had read in police files that when an android's stress level reaches 100% they are prone to self destruction. Connor needed this deviant to remain calm otherwise we would lose everything. But he didn't truly care whether the android "lived or died." He was following a program. I knew what would happen as soon as that girl took one step out of the deviant's arms. Daniel would be shot immediately. 

I snapped back to attention and noticed that Connor was now standing by the man on the ground I had previously tried to reach. Daniel watched with narrowed eyes. The android knelt down and paused a moment, looking over the man. "He's losing blood. If we don't get him to a hospital he's going to die." he explained to Daniel.

"All humans die eventually. What does it matter if this one dies now?" The deviant asked darkly. Connor didn't answer the question,

"I'm going to apply a tourniquet." Suddenly another gunshot rang out. I flinched at the loud noise. Luckily Daniel has missed this time.

"Don't touch him!" He yelled, "Touch him... and I kill you." his jaw was clenched.

"You can't kill me. I'm not alive." He said as he took his tie off. I felt a light chill. He truly believed he was just a machine designed to be a slave to mankind.

Androids had always intrigued me. My partner hated them but I always thought they could be capable of amazing things if they were just given the freedom to do so. When deviants started to surface, the police were told to keep things on the down low as to not alarm the public and effect the sale of androids. I had never been assigned to deviant cases but I tried to read about them whenever I could. They were fascinating. I wanted to learn more about them. Of course I would never tell anyone this. Deviants were considered bad things and they weren't even human. Therefore they shouldn't be treated as such. That's just how this world works. If you were different, you were pushed down. 

Connor finished applying the tourniquet and stood back up. He held a hand up to him, "I know you're angry Daniel but you need to trust me and let me help you."

"I don't want your help! Nobody can help me. All I want is for this to stop!" Daniel cried. As he spoke I inched my way to the man on the ground and sat by him. Daniel hesitated and his anguish turned back to anger, "I- Are you armed?" He shouted as he held the gun back to Connor. He was. I could see the gun tucked into Connors waistband that was carefully hidden. It was barely revealed when then wind picked up.

"No. I don't have a gun." He said. I was shocked. Was he really taking that risk? He knew what would happen if he failed so he must be confident. If Daniel found out though, Connor would most definitely fail.

"I know you're lying! I know you have a gun!"

"I'm telling you the truth Daniel. I came here unarmed."He was lying right to his face. And by the looks of it, Daniel believed him. "They were going to replace you and you became upset. That's what happened right?" Connor changed the subject. He must have gathered information while I was talking to the captain.

"I thought I mattered." Daniel began. His voice began to dip into despair. I could tell his emotions were all over the place. "But I was just their toy." He said through gritted teeth and he lifted the gun to the girl's head. "Something to throw away when you're done with it."

"I know you and Emma were very close. You think she betrayed you but she's done nothing wrong." Connor tried to reason.

"She lied to me! I thought she loved me but... I was wrong. She's just like all the other humans!"

"Daniel no!" Emma cried. I felt my heart break. Then Daniel groaned and held his head.

"Agh! I can't take that noise anymore! Tell that helicopter to get out of here!"

"I don't think they'll listen to me." Connor lied. "You have to trust me Daniel. Let the hostage go and I promise you everything will be fine. Let the girl go and I promise you won't be hurt." Another dirty lie. Right to his face. It was then I realized that Connor would say or do anything for the success of the mission. It didn't matter what the aftermath would be. 

"I don't wanna die." Daniel said after a long pause. I could see and hear the fear. Connor, unfazed by his statement, took another step forward. He was very close to Daniel now.

"You're not going to die." Yet another lie. "We're just going to talk. Nothing will happen to you. You have my word." He finished. A part of me knew this android needed to die. He was unstable. He killed multiple people. But another part of me was sympathetic. I knew very well the fate of Daniel. But he thought he was safe. He had Connor's word but I knew how much good that would do him.

"Okay... I trust you." Daniel said eventually. Something tugged in my heart. He let Emma go slowly. She landed on the ground and ran a few feet away before collapsing on the ground.

"Goodbye Daniel..." I whispered under my breath. A long pause followed. Connor and Daniel held eye contact and suddenly multiple gunshots rang through Detroit. Daniel's body shook from the force of multiple snipers shooting him. He then collapsed to his knees, covered in blue blood with biocomponents revealed. Daniel's LED was an angry red as he stared Connor down.

I could see Daniel's mouth move as he spoke his last words to Connor however I couldn't hear over the roar of the near helicopters. Daniel was now still.

Connor hadn't moved and the SWAT came running out. He then turned around and walked away from the scene. His face was still and his stare was cold. Not a single emotion. He walked past Captain Allen and I without a word.

-Mission Successful-