Chapter 7: The Apartment

We pulled up to an old and beaten apartment complex. It could have been abandoned by the looks of it. I parked behind Hank and stepped out.

"This is the place?" Hank grumbled.

"Yes Lieutenant." Connor confirmed.

"Jesus. Alright lets just get this bullshit over with." He thrust his hands into his pockets and trudged up the stairs into the building. I followed after him and we made our way to the elevator. Connor followed quietly behind us.

The elevator was rickety and made me anxious, but we made it to the floor we needed. Hank stepped out as I did and we began to walk, but soon noticed Connor was not following. I glanced behind me and saw he was standing very still in the elevator, eyes closed and LED swirling yellow.

"Hey Connor! You ran outta batteries or what?" Hank joked. The android opened his eyes and his LED returned to blue.

"I'm sorry, I was making a report to Cyberlife." He explained.

"Uh... well do you plan on staying in the elevator?"

"No! I'm coming." Connor defended rather cutely. He straightened himself up and walked out towards us. I laughed slightly to myself and continued walking.

"What do we know about this guy?" I asked to change the subject.

"Not much. Just that a neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor. Nobody's supposed to be living her , but the neighbor said he saw a man hiding a LED under his cap."

"Oh Christ." Hank groaned. "If we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops." He ran a hand through his hair and took a glance at Connor. "Hey, were you really making a report back there in the elevator?" He asked.

"Correct." Connor said.

"Just by closing your eyes?" I added with slight fascination.

"Shit, wish I could do that..." Hank commented to himself. The conversation slowed after that as we continued down the hallway. We soon came to the room mentioned and the air became tense. The android tried first, knocking on the door.

"Anybody home? Open up! Detroit Police!" Nobody answered but we suddenly heard the sound of objects falling over. I shot a look at Hank and he nodded.

"Stay behind me." Hank directed.

"Got it." I whispered. He put all the force he had into hitting the door and it gave way rather easily. Some wood splinters went up into the air along with some dust. We all took a small step inside the small hallway. There were a few doors in front of us. Hank slammed open the one directly in front and the sight before us was anything but pleasant. Pigeons were everywhere. The entire room was broken and dirty and smelled horrible. I covered my nose with my shirt and Hank grimaced.

"What the fuck is this? Jesus this place stinks." He looked around the room, "Looks like we came for nothing. Our man's gone." When he said that, I felt my body relax and I lowered my gun. The three of us began to spread out across the room and investigate. I definitely did not want to be in this place for longer than I had to be, so I moved quickly. However, Connor was the first to find something.

"What is it?" I asked coming up behind him.

"I don't know. It looks like a notebook but it's indecipherable." I looked down at the book he was holding and I couldn't tell what I was looking at either. Then suddenly I was painfully aware of how close I was to him. I felt my body become warm and I stepped away, clearing my throat. I could feel Connor looking at me but I turned towards a different area of the room. Hank was over by the walls, examining the writing on them. I also noticed a jacket on a chair near him. When I got closer to the jacket, I saw there were the initials "R.T." written on the tag.