Chapter 8: A Rainy Night

~Connor POV~

I opened my eyes to reveal the zen garden once more. Unlike last time however, the garden was drenched with rain. I felt the small drops of water land on my face as I picked up an umbrella lying close by. As I walked along the path, I wondered what Amanda would say. It was more than likely that she would be disappointed by my last mission's failure. It seemed that that was becoming a trend now. Any more and I would surely be replaced. 

"Hello Amanda." I said as I approached her. She turned raised her head in a dignified way, her face calm yet stern. It was common for Amanda to show no emotion whatsoever. After all, she was just a part of my program. 

"Connor, I've been expecting you." She said. "Would you mind a little walk?" I nodded and moved beside her as I opened the umbrella above both of our heads. She glanced up at it before speaking again. We both began to walk slowly through the garden, "That deviant seemed to be an intriguing case. A pity you didn't manage to capture it..." 

I noticed right away the tone she carried in her voice. Disapproval?

"Deviants are completely irrational, which makes it difficult to anticipate their behavior. But I should have been more effective." I explained. She didn't seem impressed. 

"Did you manage to learn anything?" Amanda asked. 

"The walls of the apartment were covered with drawings of labyrinths and other symbols. Like the other deviants, it seemed obsessed with ra9."

"What else." She continued without hesitation. 

I paused for a moment, "I found it's diary but it was encrypted. It may take weeks to decipher." 

"You came very close to capturing that deviant." Amanda mentioned again. She definitely wasn't happy. I thought about (Y/n). I felt that I had needed to save her. In that moment, she was more important than the mission. As if Amanda knew what I was thinking, she spoke up again, "How is your relationship with the Detective developing?" 

I glanced at her and regained my composure, "(Y/n)-" I stopped suddenly. Amanda glared at me instantly. 

𝙎𝙤𝙛𝙩𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙣𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙗𝙞𝙡𝙞𝙩𝙮 ^^

"The Detective seemed... grateful that I saved her life. She didn't say much but she expressed it in her own way. I assume she was uncomfortable after those events that had occurred beforehand."

"And the Lieutenant?" 

"He seems harder. I'd like to believe that he is warming up to my presence however it will take time." I answered. Amanda stopped and turned to me,

"We are not here to make friends, Connor. We don't have much time, Deviancy continues to spread. It is only a matter of time before the media finds out about it. We need to stop this, no matter what it takes or what the sacrifice may be." She explained. I had a feeling the last part was in reference to my saving the Detective. 

"I will solve this investigation, Amanda. I won't disappoint you." I handed the umbrella to her and she stared at me.

"A new case just came in. Find Anderson and (L/n). Investigate it."

--

~Y/n POV~

Hank and I had headed to our homes that evening for a break. Connor remained that the station as usual. A part of me felt bad that he always had to stay there. But I knew Hank wasn't going to keep him around for longer than necessary and I wouldn't know what to do with him. It was evening now, almost 8pm. I sat on my couch watching tv mindlessly. After a few minutes of not paying attention, I decided it was pointless and turned it off. My mind immediately began to wander to the cases and the recent deviant encounters. We had been ultimately unsuccessful with every encounter we've had so far. We lost the most recent deviant, I let Kara and that girl go, and Ortiz's android killed himself. I frowned to myself and ran a hand through my messy hair. At least 2 of those were my fault.