Chapter 5: On The Run

(I totally forgot to point out before that every time you see a software instability during a non-Connor pov, that's just letting you know that whatever just happened caused Connor to have some software instability.)

~~

I hopped in my car and Connor followed with me. I wasn't very surprised after what just went down in the station. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a small space with someone who just threatened me. But my curiosity still wanted more. So I decided to ask him.

"Connor." I said as I started driving. He turned his head and looked at me.

"Yes Detective?"

"Why did you get in the car with me and not Hank?" I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and saw him thinking for a moment.

"Well, I was closer to you at the time. And I feel that the Lieutenant could use some time apart from me." He stated simply.

"Oh." I said. So I was right. I felt conflicted. Why was I let down by that answer?

"But," Connor continued, "I also feel that I have yet to get to know you better, Detective. So I thought the optimal time to do so is when there would be no interference." I felt my body lift slightly. It made me happy to know he wanted to get to know me. I figured it was simply for job reasons but I had a hope that I would be able to become friends with him eventually, even if he was an android. I knew that he could be capable of it if all these other androids could.

"Well now's the time to ask. I assume you already know the basics about me but if there's anything else..." I said with a smile.

"Alright. What made you want to become an officer?" He asked immediately.

"Wow." I chuckled, "Starting out with the big ones already huh?"

"My apologies. I can ask something different if you'd like." Connor offered but I shook my head.

"No it's alright. I became a cop because I was inspired by Hank and my dad. But Hank was really the only parental figure I had most of my life. And seeing what he did, I don't know. It just motivated me to help others." I sighed.

"I remember what you said last time we were in the car. You said that the Lieutenant was like a father to you. Is there a reason?" he questioned.

I shrugged, "My mother ran off with another man when I was 3. Who knows where she is. And my father died in the line of duty when I was only 8. Hank was the only one left for me.  It was only a year after the incident too so, he kind of needed me as well."

"Incident?" Connor tilted his head slightly.

Shit. I tightened my grip on the wheel. "Nothing." I muttered. I pulled up to the front of a supermarket where a few police stood and Hank's truck was parked. Connor opened his mouth to say something else but I stopped him. "Listen, don't mention anything about that to Hank alright? No matter what your 'program' or whatever says. At least, not right now. You got it?" My tone was serious and commanding. The android held eye contact with me for a moment, his almost human, chocolate brown eyes searching mine.

"Got it." he said finally. I sighed, pulling my body away and opening the car door.

I found Hank finishing up questions with an eye witness.

"Hey. How's it coming along?" I asked. Hank turned to me and rolled his eyes.

"A whole load of jack shit." he grumbled. I gave him a small sympathetic smile and shrugged. I walked around to get an idea of the area. Ben saw me and quickly gave me an update.