Chapter 3: The Interrogation

I yawned quietly to myself as I stood in the dark room, dimly lit by the window in front of us. It was only myself, a few police officers, Gavin, and Connor. The window looked into the interrogation room where Hank sat with the deviant we found at the scene. It was late, almost 1 AM, but it seemed that we would be here for a while. The deviant wasn't talking.

"Why'd you kill him?" Hank asked. "What happened before you took that knife? How long were you in the attic?"  He followed up question after question but the deviant remained still, looking down at his hands. There was a pause before Hank's impatience got the best of him, "Say something goddammit!" He slammed his hands on the table and I jumped slightly. The deviant gave no response. "Fuck it I'm outta here." Hank muttered as he stood up. He waved his hand in annoyance and stepped back into the room where we all waited.

"This is a waste of time." I groaned, rubbing my face.

Gavin pushed off the wall, "Could always try roughing it up a little. After all, it's not human." I glared at him.

"Androids don't feel pain. You would only damage it and that wouldn't make it talk. Deviants also have a tendency to self destruct when they're in stressful situations." Connor spoke up. It was the first thing he'd said out loud since we arrived at the station. But the information rang a bell. Memories of the situation with the deviant a few months ago resurfaced and I furrowed my eyebrows in concentration.

"Okay smartass," Gavin sneered, "what should we do then?"

"I could try questioning it." Connor offered. Gavin burst into laughter but no one else joined him. Hank gestured to the room,

"What do we have to lose. Go ahead, suspect's all yours."

Connor placed his hand on the panel and the door opened for him. I took a seat beside Hank and watched. The android stopped for a moment as the door closed behind him and he took a look around the room, most likely scanning. Then he turned his head to the two-way mirror. I cocked my head to the side in confusion. What was he doing? Then the android began to adjust his tie in the mirror. I smirked and Hank sat back, "What the fuck is it doing now?"

Connor then turned and faced the deviant. He took a seat where Hank previously sat and looked at the photos from the crime scene. His head lifted as he scanned the deviant.

"You're damaged. Did your owner do that?" The android began. No response. So began the long process once more of trying different tactics to get this deviant to speak. I rested my head on my hand and listened tiredly. Question after question: nothing. Then, Connor tried a different approach, "If you don't talk I'm going to have to probe your memory." His voice was serious and aggressive.

"No! No please don't do that!" The deviant exclaimed in a panic all at once. His LED was bright red and he was still shaking. Everyone in the room snapped to attention. We had a breakthrough. "What... what are they going to do to me?" He asked. Connor didn't respond. "They're going to destroy me." The deviant said with horrifying realization.

"They're going to disassemble you to look for problems in your biocomponents. They have no choice if they want to understand what happened." Connor answered truthfully.

"Why did you tell them you found me?" The deviant asked with a underlying hint of betrayal. "Why couldn't you have just left me there?"

"I was programmed to hunt deviants like you. I just accomplished my mission." Connor said coldly. I frowned and leaned forward a little more.

"I don't want to die." The deviant whispered.

"Then talk to me." Connor's voice softened and he leaned forward expectantly. The deviant looked up with a shaky head.