Six

Chapter Six
Don't Hurt Her

Thea's POV
"Open the door, Thea." My dad's voice comes through my door along with the pounding of his fists. I pull the blanket up until my chin and take deep breaths. "Thea Rose Anderson, open the FUCKING door." His voice booms again.

Then I hear my mother's voice. Begging, pleading him to stop. "Don't hurt her. She's our babygirl." I can hear her pushing my dad away. But he wouldn't have it.

I peek out through the hole in my door and I see it. All of it. With one push my mom goes tumbling down the stairs and then she lays there. Blood. My dad. And me, too weak to stand up to him. Too weak to protect my mom.

Then I hear the sounds of keys. Mom's pocket, she'd keep keys there to lock my door if my dad gets aggressive while I'm asleep.

I rush back to my bed the same time the door opens. And the big man who once cradled me to sleep in this very same room grabs a picture frame from the bed side table and then, it hits me.

"Thea, Thea, Thea wake up!"

My eyes fly open and before I could register anything else Nate's helping me up. Nate.

"Get the FUCK away from me," I yell. I remember - he told everyone Sam hit me.

"I'm sorry about last night, Thea. You told me he hit you and I lost it. I'm sorry." He really is sorry. I can tell. But I'm too angry, to terrified and I just, can't.

"Leave, please. I'm not ready, Nate. Not yet." I tell him and he just nods. I look out the window until I hear the door shut. Not five seconds later it opens again, but this time, it's Shawn.

"Hey," his soft voice relaxes my nerves and I let out a breath.

"Hi," I say loud enough for him to hear. Shawn closes the door behind him and sits down beside me.