I Need To Lose You To Find Me (Prologue)

Isn't it sad when you get hurt so much, you can finally say "I am used to it."

"I wonder if there is a painkiller to cure a hurting heart?" A voice broke the stillness of a calm and starry Parisian night. Cat Noir sat in silence all alone. He was broken.

"I am disappointed in you." Gabriel's voice played in his head.

"Your indecision is hurting me, Adrien." Kagami said in a cold voice.

"I can't be in love with you Cat Noir." Said Ladybug.

Ladybug's voice played in his head like a recording. Her words hurt him more than anybody else's.

Words don't have the power to hurt you unless the person who said them means a lot to you. Love is lethal, it hurts more than anything.

"I miss you, Mom." He mumbled.

"Cat Noir?" A familiar voice asked. "What are you doing here... crying?"

He whipped his head to find Marinette, staring at him intently. Her bluebell eyes reflected concern. Until then he hadn't even registered himself crying, he didn't even register sitting on her balcony.

"I am sorry, I'll be leaving." He replied in a weak voice, standing up.

"Cat, wait!" She said abruptly.

He stopped in his tracks and turned around to face his classmate slowly as if he was unsure of the situation.

"Would you like some cookies?" She asked him nervously.

"I couldn't bother you..."

"Oh, chaton! You can never bother me." She walked up to him, grabbed him by his arm and made him sit on her chair.

"You don't have to take care of me." He said, looking down at his hands. The last thing he wanted was to bother Marinette with his issues.

"I want to, Cat." She said with a soft smile "Wait here, I will get you something."

She went inside, leaving Cat pondering.

She wants to take care of me?

It had been a long time since someone wanted to take care of him willingly. In fact, he couldn't remember anyone wanting to take care of him except his mother. A small smile crept his face, the first time in forty-eight hours.

Someone cares...

He was happy to learn that someone cared about him as a person and not because of his Agreste status. His train of thoughts was stopped by the person herself as she brought him a plate of cookies, croissants and a glass of milk. She put it in front of him and sat across him. He gladly accepted and started munching on the cookies.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what got you all down tonight?" She asked.

He stiffened visibly at the question. His feline ears pressed flat against his blonde locks.

Marinette noticed his change in demeanour. "I know it's not my place to ask, but I am just worried Cat. I mean, your usual glint in your eyes is gone, your arrogance and not to mention your inevitable puns."