The Girl with the Moon

Hiccup couldn't think of any words. His eyes were wide, and so were Toothless'.

The person stood confused.

"Hello? Earth to idiot. What's your problem?"

Hiccup regained himself. "Your.... Dragon?"

They crossed their arms. "You're not too bright. Yes MY dragon! What do you think you're doing tying it up while I was on the back?!"

"But... The Flightmare... It's never been trained before." Hiccup stuttered.

"This was my first dragon." The person went back into the brush to untie the Flightmare. "And I see you have a Nightfury."

"Um, yes. How did you-"

"Know it was a Nightfury?" They cut him off. "I've studied the book of dragons. I've never seen a dragon like yours so I assumed."

"Well," Hiccup ran his hand through his hair. "I was actually wondering how you captured the Flightmare."

Hiccup heard the person finally untie the Flightmare. A deafening screech sounded through the forest. They lead the Flightmare out to the clearing where Hiccup and Toothless were.
"Captured?" They scratched their dragon. "I think you mean saved. This poor little guy was caught on an iceberg, exhausted. I found him one day doing a bit of... Mapping out in the sea. I knew he ate glowing algae but I had nary an idea of where to find some!"

"But how did you save him, then?" Hiccup responded.

"Luckily, on my return home, I found some glowing in our Port. Never seen it there before, but I acted quickly. I set out an immediate search for the beast and helped him on his way. I decided to train him as anyone would a Zippleback or a Deadly Nadder. And thus, we became friends." They looked to Toothless. "How did you manage to save one?"

Hiccup scratched his head. "Well, actually I shot him out of the sky with an invention-"

"You WHAT?!" The Flighmare roared.

"But that was when we fought dragons! I saved him! I decided not to kill him! I couldn't kill a dragon!" Hiccup backed into Toothless, who growled at the Flightmare.

"Fair enough." The person straightened themselves out. "How do you wear this mask all day? I can't stand it." They removed their helmet. Hiccup honestly never noticed they had a helmet on.
When removed, the helmet revealed a dark orang braid trailing from the back of her head to their thighs. It was a girl. She had pale pink lips and her eyes were black with a small blue ring inside. She wore a long silky dress, in which Hiccup had wondered how she had rode the dragon with that on.

"Oh, you're a girl!" Hiccup said.

"You're relived, why. Is there a problem?"

"No, no, I just didn't know if you were a girl and I didn't want to assume." Hiccup said

She crinkled her nose. "I'm Ryo, by the way."

"I'm Hiccup."

She crinkled her nose again. "You don't look like a Hiccup. You're not a runt. Unless I'm looking at you totally wrong."

"I was a runt," Hiccup shy-fully said. "But then Toothless came along and... I became the most powerful person on Berk."

"Berk," Ryo said. "So you're only powerful on Berk?"

"No, I defeated Drago so I guess-"

"Drago," she turned around. "You can't defeat Drago. He is ten times more powerful than you. Drago is unstoppable." She mumbled to herself as if she was in a trance.

"Um, what?"

She turned back around. "Hm? Oh! Sorry, I just- my village was attacked by Drago... Once."

"I'm sorry," Hiccup said.

She smiled. "We won though. He's not" she swallowed hard. "He's not as hard to beat as he looks."

"Well, than we have something in common." Hiccup laughed.

"Well, I must be off," she said, turning to her Flightmare.

"Wait, where are you going?" Hiccup ran to the dragon.

"Oh," she sighed. "I don't know. Wherever the wings take me, I guess." Ryo looked into the distance.

"Well, I can't just let you leave to Odin knows where. Especially at this hour." Hiccup said.

"I won't be wandering. I was just doing a bit of mapping. It's a hobby now. Especially know that I can map the skies with Lunar, here." She patted the Flightmare's head.

"Lunar," Hiccup said. "A beautiful name."

"It means the moon." Ryo looked to the newly rising moon. "It glows at night, and pushes the tides. Reasons for giving her the name."

"Pushes the tides?" Hiccup questioned.

"Well, she loves to dive in and out of the waves." She laughed.

Hiccup chuckled. "So then where are you going?"

"I found a small cove. I think I'll cozy there for the night."

"All alone? And cold?" Hiccup said.

"No. There's plenty of dragons there." Ryo said.

"Dragons?" Hiccup's eyes widened. "What kinds?"

Ryo leaned back. "I don't know. Short kinds, tall kinds, kinds that change color."

"If you don't mind, may I join you? Just to admire the creatures and possibly add a few new ones to the book of dragons."

She tilted her head. "You're curious. That could get one killed. But sure, why not?" She prepared herself on Lunar.

Hiccup ran back to Toothless, who still wasn't fond of Lunar. They soon took off into the blanketing night.