Chapter 8

[8 — Maintenance Tunnels]

Over 1,000 reads?! I'm so very thankful for the attention this has garnered, guys! I appreciate anybody that's taken the time to read this!!

—————————————

|| Your P.O.V ||

   We had finally found an elevator, as it was next to one of those large gates that didn't seem to want to open without a passcode— Which we obviously didn't know— And since there wasn't any other way to go, we had decided to use it.

   "You know, I've never liked these things," began 173 as the hum of the elevator vibrated underneath my feet. "Every time I ride one, I'm always waiting for the one moment when it jerks to a moment's stop before plummeting down to inevitable death."

   I stared at him, biting my lip when I had thought about what he had said. "Uh... Could you not jinx us? I don't want my final moments to be irony."

   "I know you worry about it too!" The statue argued.

   "Elevators can... Plummet?" Came the voice of 049, his eyes on me.

   Just as I was about explain, it had come to a sudden stop, and my heart lurched at it, hands immediately flying to the plague doctor, clinging to his tunic tight as I prepared for my end.

   A faint ding sounded before the doors hissed and drew apart, revealing a dark hallway that seemed to swallow any the light that emanated in the elevator that threatened to go beyond it.

   Relief flooded through me, shoulders relaxing as I released the breath I had apparently been holding.

   "Clingy, are we?" Came the voice of 049. Hadn't I heard that before?

   I blinked. "Hm?" Realising I was still clinging to him, I immediately drew my hands back and stepped away from him. "Sorry, I— I-It wasn't intentionally you..."

   A small hum came from him. "Oh, no, no, I don't mind. Though it does hurt a little."

   Confusion quickly took me out of my embarrassment. "What? You can feel through your tunic?"

   "Ah— Consider it almost as some sort of hide."

   I placed a hand on his shoulder, wonder no doubt filling my eyes. "So... You can feel this?"

   The anomaly watched me, staring down at me past his mask. "I can, yes. Your hands are rather cold."

   I recoiled my hand in reaction, though 173 had spoken up before I could. "If you two could stop being weird, we've got a new place to explore!"

   My attention had snapped to the statue and then the blackened halls before us, and only then did I hear the barely evident sound emitting from it. It was almost like wind in a trench— Or the distant sound of a vent in a hollow room. I wasn't able to tell which fit more.

   A cavity of discomfort webbed in my stomach, but I forced myself to press on. One foot at a time, I made my way from the elevator and into the darkness, hoping that the other two were behind me.

   Judging by the sounds audible, I figured they were.

   049 was right— My hands were cold. Not only that, but my chest was tight and I was ready to start running at any moment.

   The hall appeared to go a rather long ways down in both directions with the occasional branching out into more along the wall opposite of the one where the elevator was.