Chapter 9

[9 — Sleep Killer]

Thank you for over a hundred votes!! I'm pleased that people like this~!!

-------------------------

   "What are you doing?" 173's voice was filled with both a mix of confusion and irritation.

   Hastily, I had scrambled off of the plague doctor, barely able to find my footing as I moved about. "T-There's... There's something here that struck me!" My heart racing as fast as the adrenaline rushing through me, I had thoughtlessly grabbed the one of 049's sleeve and had began to drag him away, frantically looking for the white thing in the dark.

   It wasn't there.

   "[Name], let's settle down, there's nothing here," 049 spoke as I had tugged him relentlessly down the halls, 173 audible behind us. "I'm sure you're just seeing things."

   "Oh, I was seeing things alright!" I cried, barely being able to make a corner. "I just can't anymore! I-It busted my goggles!"

   I skidded to a halt as soon as I had felt the doctor yank himself free of my grip, that leathery feel in the palm of my hand no longer there. Whipping around on one foot, I stamped the other down to stop myself as I faced him and the statue more properly. "What are you doing?"

   "Do you even know where you're going?" 173 had griped, deflecting my question.

   "No!" I snapped, reaching out for the doctor once more. "But we need to move!"

   049 shrunk back a bit before reaching out his own hand and firmly gripping my arm, to which I had began to worry against. "Dear [Name], I advise that you to calm down. Neither of us can see anything."

   Swallowing, I eased my attempts at breaking free of him, shoulders slumping a tad bit. "...I swear I saw it. It... I-It hit the goggles."

   Seeing as I was settling down, 049 released my arm. "Would there be a way to try and turn it back on?"

   Doing my best to regulate my breathing pattern, I lifted a hand up to the night vision goggles. "I... I guess I could... Try that."

   Flicking it off and then on again, my hope had dropped completely when it hadn't done anything, though the hope had quickly been yanked back up whenever I was able to see the screen flash green a few times before staying as such.

   I would've been smiling if it weren't for the frail, white creature pacing its way towards us. Shoulders tensing, I had sucked in a dry breath, whirling around and trying to move past them. "It's here!"

   Perhaps what has frightened me the most was that I was previously running in the direction it was approaching from, meaning I could've unknowingly run into it.

   Thankfully, the other two had actually followed me instead of trying to hold me back. My teeth clenched a bit at the sight of another one— The one that had struck the goggles— Approaching from where I had originally fled from. There was a split that lead off to another hallway between me and the anomaly, and I took no hesitation in swerving into it.

   I had managed to slow down a bit soon after, hearing 049: "What exactly is it that you're seeing?"

   Before I could even muster up a response, the voice of the statue came first just over his leg nubs scraping the floor. "I think I know what they're seeing." His voice had threads of speculation woven into it. "035 had mentioned some weird invisible guys that had some affect on a human's sleep or something. I think the stupid mask said that he's observed some NTF use night vision against them in a few past breaches. Called them 966."