Chapter 14

[14— Enough is Enough]

   SCP-096 has continued to take after me as I had moved the bodies. I wasn't able to find any room to put them, so I only drug said corpses past the room 049 was in and down to where we had been before. The anomaly hasn't been crying anymore, seemingly taking some sort of comfort in my presence.

   The last piece to be moved was the arm of the one who had been torn apart first. Currently, it was in my hand. Each step I took was slow, my mind running as my eyes focused on the thick trails of blood on the floor.

  From me tending to 049's bullet wound, to what I just did with that guard, I was pondering over myself. Panicking doesn't do any good. All I do is cry anymore. I won't cry anymore. I shouldn't freak out so much if I want to get out of here, even if I... I lightly shook my head. I'm not useless. I won't be anymore. I'm going to figure out who I was and what I did and leave this damn hellhole. Nothing is going to get in my way.

   I made the corner, seeing the pile of body parts and blood in the near-distance. I only hoped it was far away enough for him to not detect. In reaching the small mound of torn flesh, the arm slipped through my digits and plopped pathetically onto it.

   096 began to grunt in tumult, a pair of hands gripping me loosely from behind.

   I went to look at it, but caught myself before I was able to. "What?" Not that I expected a direct answer— All I received were more noises.

   The stench of blood was burning my nose, and I moved my gaze to my hands, seeing the same very liquid covering them. For several seconds, my mind was blank, and I just listened to it whine.

   "I don't know what you want," I stated to it, wishing it would take it giant hands off of me. "I need to go."

   A shadow loomed over me, and I froze in realisation in what it was doing. The sharp tips of its bony fingers lightly dig into the front sides of my shoulders.

   "I know you can understand me," I started. "I don't know what you want from me, or what you wanted from that guy, but i-it..." Would this upset it? To the point of killing me like it would if I looked at its face?

   I fell silent for a good minute, considering the risks. Only when I made my decision, I mumbled out the words. "Please. I need to get out of here. You can't come along." Definitely not with all the problems that would cause.

   On fortunate terms, the anomaly cooperated. Its hands were removed from me, and the shadow was retracted as it did. The only way I was able to tell that it was leaving was the quiet padding of its feet that gradually faded off behind me.

   A long minute had passed before I had even lifted my head, turning and looking around in a state of caution. I didn't want to have it somehow still be there and end up looking at its face. No sign that it was there.

   In relief, I pivoted on a single foot and followed to the side of the trail of blood back to where I had left 049. Arriving at the door, I twisted the handle and made my way inside. Making no bother to close said door behind me, I instead approached the doctor.

   Once at the front of him, I put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, bird-face," I said.

   The anomaly shifted faintly underneath my hand, rustling fabric being audible as he did so. The dark past the holes of his mask were snapped to that strong hue of bright blue.

   Such... Pretty eyes.

   They flicked to me, his head rising in a minuscule amount. As I dropped my hand from him and brought it back to myself, he raised up a little in his seat.