Chapter 17

[17— Entrance Zone]

   Silence ensued, allowing my mind to have room to wander. All I was hoping was that the exit to the Site wasn't far. Unlikely, seeing both the size of the place and my luck, but I hoped nonetheless.

   The elevator only had a single, dim, fluorescent light at the top of it to illuminate things. As the machine vibrated underneath my feet, and as the doctor continued to pursue being so close to me, I couldn't help but let the sense of ease have its turn with me.

   It hadn't lasted long, however, as everything came to violent, jolting stop. Thrown out of my thoughts, I was knocked from my balance and towards the floor. I never reached it, however, as two hands managed to take a quick hold on me before I was able to. Without warning, I was being pressed up black material. The elevator had stopped.

   He held me up against him, arms wrapped firmly around me, one hand on the back of a shoulder.

   I let my gaze fall to the floor, unsure how to feel. "Uh... I'm fine. You can let go."

   049 proceeded to release me, taking as step back as the doors slid open behind me with a quiet ding just prior to it. His hands folded in front of him. "Of course."

   No... He wouldn't have just let me fall. But he would've just grabbed my wrist, right? Not just pull me in like that? Pfft. I'm just overthinking things.

   With a release of breath from the slight tension that had suddenly accumulated in the air, I pivoted on a single foot and began to make me way out of the elevator. The sound of footsteps overlapping mine gave way to me that he was following.

   The hallways were evidently different, though not by surpassing amounts. Its main defining features were the pair of large orange lines down towards the bottom of the wall, stretching all the way.

   We continued on for some time, mumbling things to each other here and there. As I was in the middle of saying something, there was a section of glass windows and a door that caught my attention.

   Dropping what I was saying, I walked hastily to it, peering through the glass and seeing rows and rows of doors parallel to one another along both sides.

   "What is..." The question was inane. I glanced to 049, who was staring off down the corridor himself. Giving him no time to object, I opened the door and stepped past the glass and onto the hall. "I'm gonna look."

   "Well, let's not take too long," was his indication that he was going to come with.

   "Right." I looked along the doors, seeing scanners and plaques next to each of them. The latter read as researchers that were no doubt working at the Site, the thin plaques being right above the doors.

   The familiar dings of the intercom made their way into my ears. "Nine-Tailed Fox has just entered the facility. All personnel need to evacuate from the shelters until all SCP's have been re-contained." The screeching crack of the mic disconnecting.

   I ignored that, not wanting to worry about them. I only vaguely remembered what 173 had spoken about them, and just hoped I wouldn't come across them.

   Dr. Sasahara...

   Dr. Quinn...

   Dr. Faulkner...

   Dr. [Last Name].

   I froze where I was, and stared at the door. The said door was closed to a crack, implying there was no need to keep it closed. I guess they hadn't gotten to taking off my name before the breach. Lifting a hand and pressing the door open, the room was revealed.