Chapter 16

[16— Monsters in the Dark]

|| Your P.O.V ||

   "The doors appear to be leading me somewhere, over."

   Panic surged through me and I whipped around to see 049 already rushing for the door. I went after him almost instinctively. Throwing out a hand, I grasped onto his tunic and began to try and hold him back.

   He made attempts to resist as usual. The door whirred opened with the usual airy squeak. 096's sobbing stopped. Chills crackled down my spine as the familiar screaming began.

   "Oh, shit! Fuck, fuck—"

   "You're always getting in my way! Release me!"

   I yanked back the plague doctor, gritting my teeth in the midst of struggling. I remained without a response, hoping that 049 hadn't seen the face of 096 as well.

   The screaming got louder, enveloping me before it burst into blood-curdling screeches. A white blur was visible.

   How fast is that thing?

   There was no time to contemplate the question as I whirled to the door behind me. Miraculously, the light was blue again. Slamming the button, the door slid open and I tugged the plague doctor through, tripping over my own feet and falling onto the floor.

   The cries of 096 had died off in the distance. Heavy weight was on top of me, but it wasn't enough to crush me. I knew who it was, and was glad that 096's absence meant the guard was as well.

   What had just happened?

   I felt 049 begin to take himself off of me as I realised how hard my heart was pounding. Getting up on my own feet, I let out a long breath as my shoulders slumped. I was just relieved both him and I managed to get out of there.

   I guess 096 came in handy after all, huh...? I wonder if we would've died if it wasn't there to get the guard. I let out a small huff. No. I can't die. And I won't let 049.

   "Are you alright?"

   My attention pulled back to him. "Oh? Yeah..." I replied quietly as I lifted my head and scanned our surroundings, seeing we were in a normal hallway once more. I few doors still had SCP's labelled to them. "And you?"

   He hands went and folded behind his back, appearing calm as ever. "Of course. I must apologise for the commotion, however."

   "No, you... Never-mind." Blinking back into focus, I attempted to settle my breathing pattern as we began to trek down the corridors and further into the unknown once more.

   I was used to things like that happening at that point, so I hadn't felt any need to freak out. I was over doing that. My mind was honed in on the situation, as I was trying to figure out what exactly had went down.

   The guard had said something about the doors leading him somewhere, right...? I glanced over to 049. Had he heard it? Or was it just me? Well... What would he mean by the doors leading him, then?

   "Hey, um..." I paused, thinking of how to word what I wanted to inquire. "There was only door's down that hall before... All that... With SCP's in them, right?"

   The plague doctor's eyes shifted to me. "Ah... Yes, I believe so. Something on your mind?"

   "It's just what happened." My words drew out a little slowly. "The guard said something about the doors leading him."