Chapter Nine

A couple of days passed before Harry felt ready to leave his family again to go back to school.

There were only so many lectures he could skip before he fell behind, and his family understood that. Still, it didn't stop him from feeling guilty for going - he had this horrible fear of something bad happening all over again.

He knew he was being stupid really. Papa was already back at work and had barely been home, Dad's arm was out of the sling and he was making himself busy around the house.

Niall's head was better, he hadn't needed any painkillers in over a day and though he had been pretty quiet, that wasn't really anything new anymore. Even Louis seemed to be staying positive about his leg and football, though he had his moments were the façade slipped and he let some of his frustration at being bedridden for now seep out. Still, overall, everything seemed okay.

Harry managed to reassure himself, and he tried his best to act as if saying goodbye to them this time was just the same as every other time.

Papa was at work but had messaged him earlier on to say goodbye and good luck.

Dad wrapped his arms around him as best as he could without hurting his own ribs and squeezed him softly. "You and Ash take care of each other, alright? And tell him to be careful driving you both back, those roads aren't the safest," he warned lightly, and Harry nodded quickly to ease his father's worry.

"We will, Dad, don't worry. I'll call you as soon as we get back, promise," he said gently.

Liam pulled away and smiled at him. "And stop worrying yourself, mister," he scolded in a light tone. "You'll be coming back for dinner in less than a week, and Christmas break'll be here before you know it. Three whole weeks with us. We aren't going anywhere," be murmured.

Harry chewed on his lip, giving a small nod and ducking his head slightly so that his curls fell forward. "I know. I just - I'll miss you, that's all," he mumbled, and he felt stupid because he was only going back to uni and it didn't usually bother him this much. In fact, often he was glad to get away from the hectic household. But he really was anxious about leaving today.

Louis scoffed from his place on the couch, legs stretched out in front of his with a blanket thrown over them. He had a bowl of crisps on his lap and the TV remote in his hand, hair tousled and pajamas twisted. "Don't lie, you'll be glad to get away," he joked, grinning when Harry rolled his eyes and ruffled his hair softly.

"Whatever Lou, you should take the compliment. I'm actually gonna miss you, you can hold it against me for the rest of our lives," he said, and Louis paused, then smiled.

"Deal...but you're only gonna be gone for a few days before we see you again," he stated with a shrug, though Harry could see right through his brother and was well aware that he wasn't as unaffected as he liked to act. His next words proved that. "But if you wanted to take me with you then I wouldn't complain."

Dad cleared his throat and folded his arms over his chest at that, raising an eyebrow. "And what's so bad about staying here, your highness, being waited on hand and foot?" he teased.

Louis let out a huff and set down his bowl of crisps. "I'm just so bored, Dad," he whined, sounding like his old self - the boy who didn't try to act all grown up constantly.

"Lou, it's been two days. If you're bored now, what's it gonna be like in a few weeks? Months?" Dad asked, and Harry didn't miss the way his little brother's face fell at that and the lightness to the atmosphere suddenly grew heavy.

Yeah, Lou liked to act unaffected by everything, but Harry could see right through it every time. He knew exactly how much the leg injury was bothering his brother already both mentally and physically.