Chapter 2: Terrified

Frisk

Frisk's heart pounded in her chest at the loud voice. She jumped as she felt Sans drag her and thrust her into a clump of thorn bushes, letting out a pained gasp.

"Be quiet!" Sans snapped to her. "I'm gonna talk to my brother. Keep your mouth shut if you want to live. And stay put!" He turned away and started walking across the bridge to the loud voice. Frisk peered out from between the thorn bushes to watch him, feeling scared to the point of being nauseous.

"Hey boss!" Sans greeted a tall menacing looking skeleton, who wore a rather intimidating outfit and a scowl on his face. "Sup?"

The tall skeleton glared down at Sans. "Don't give me that!" He practically hissed at the shorter skeleton. "What are you doing all the way out here? You should be checking the traps!"

"I was looking for humans in the woods." Sans said wit a shrug.

"Fine. I'll accept that." The tall skeleton said. "You better not be slacking off! If I catch you slacking off, you won't be walking tomorrow. Hear me?"

Frisk felt a stab of pity for Sans. If that's what he had to always deal with, no wonder he was so...prickly. She thought he looked scared even from her vantage point far away. She couldn't blame the guy.

"I-I swear I wasn't, boss!" Sans quickly said.

"Good." The tall skeleton said with a curt nod. "Keep it that way. You remember what happened last time..." he turned and marched away.

Sans

Sans watched as his angry brother Papyrus marched away, relief and fear and anger burning through his soul all at once. He turned and marched back to where he had left the human, grabbing her and yanking her out of the thorn bushes with a grunt. She let out a small cry of pain.

"Good thing ya kept quiet, kid." Sans said, tossing Frisk to the side and watching as she stood up and wiped herself off.

Frisk looked stunned. "That was your brother? Wow! Is he always like that?"

Sans nodded. "Uh huh. Pretty much. Don't matter though. He at least understands that it's kill or be killed." He thought back to monsters who had died, killed by his brother himself. "Others aren't as lucky."

The look Frisk was giving him made Sans feel quite uncomfortable. He could tell that she didn't understand the rules of the underground. Otherwise...well, he'd be dead. Instead she was giving him this look of pity. Yet...hadn't the monsters only learned to kill the way they did because humans were incapable of being kind and merciful?

"That's too bad." Frisk murmured, looking away from Sans. "Things aren't like that where I'm from...it can be harsh, yeah, but not like that..."

Sans scoffed. "Yeah, like I believe that! You humans are the ones who drove us underground and made us realize that killing is the answer."

Frisk looked pained. "I'm sorry. We were wrong to do that."

Frisk

Frisk felt ashamed of the human race. It wasn't fair that the monsters had to kill everyone because humans drove them to madness. Flowey had warned her about the killing nature, yet it still stunned her. It hit her especially hard because she knew monsters were once just as kind to each other as humans could be.

Sans glowered at Frisk, looking surprisingly angry. "Ugh, kid! You get on my nerves, y'know?"

Frisk was confused. "Why?"

Sans shoved his face into hers, making her flinch. "Because you don't understand that killing and being tough is the basis of life here!" He hissed through his sharp teeth.

Frisk tried to not flee. "It shouldn't be." She whispered. "It isn't right."

Sans snorted and turned away from her. "It is what it is, kid. You have to learn to kill to survive here. It's what Papyrus taught me."

"Is that your brother?" Frisk asked. "The guy you were just talking to?"

"Yep." Sans replied, turning around again to face Frisk. "He's the most vicious and cunning monster down here, kid. If you want to live, avoid him. Or kill him. Both would mean you'd survive."

Frisk was aghast. "Y-you want me to kill your brother?" She nearly shouted.

"Of course not!" Sans snapped. "If anything I want him to kill you! I'm just sayin' that if you wanna survive you gotta be tough. If you kill him I at least know you understand our way of life."

Sans

Sans couldn't believe he was still talking to Frisk. She was his enemy by default. He despised her and her species. He knew she could reset his entire life again and again if she wanted. He should want to kill the girl. But he couldn't seem to find it in him to do so. Ugh! What the hell is my issue? I always wanted to kill humans!

Sans turned away from Frisk again. "I'm goin' to go now. I'll leave you by yourself. Do whatever you like, I guess. It makes no difference to me. You'll die anyway soon. You're obviously too naive to understand our way of life." He put his hands in his pockets and started to walk away.

"W-wait!" Frisk stammered. "Will I see you again?"

Sans glanced over his shoulder at her. "Maybe. Maybe not. Depends if you survive long enough. Why do you even care anyway?"

Frisk avoided his gaze. "I...I don't know, really. Bye, I guess."

Sans nodded and continued walking. "Yeah. Cya kid."

I wonder why I can't just kill the human or let Papyrus take her. Sans thought as he walked back to the town of Snowdin, where he lived. Yeah I guess I'm just a lazy coward and a useless bag of bones. Papyrus is probably right.