Chapter 6: Inner Demons

Frisk

It was claustrophobic, staying in the closet for hours. Frisk knew it was safer, though. She could hear Papyrus noisily walking around the house. She wished for nothing more than to talk, but she didn't dare speak. It wasn't safe, and wouldn't be until Papyrus left the house again. And who knew how long that would be? It was his house, after all!

Sleep would've been nice as well, if only Frisk could calm her bearing heart. It was a wonder her loud heartbeat didn't make Papyrus come breaking into Sans's room and opening the closet door. So since she couldn't sleep or talk, Frisk let her mind wander.

Why did Sans save me? Why is he even protecting me? Frisk wondered. He seems to hate humankind. And he definitely believes that monsters need to kill in order not to be killed! Then why is he showing me such compassion?

The floorboards creaked as Papyrus walked upstairs. Frisk held her breath as she heard the doorknob to Sans's room jingle. Then she heard Papyrus mutter something to himself and walk away, obviously not too overly intent on getting into the room after all.

All Frisk could do was curl into a ball and breathe. She felt scared to the core of her very soul, and she wasn't sure how much more of this horrible place she could take. She just hoped she'd survive long enough to help some monsters. Any important would be an improvement in the underground world.

Sans

Relief swamped over Sans as he heard his brother walk away from the door. He knew his brother would never bother breaking into his messy room, but it was still horrible to imagine. He was also impressed by how well Frisk was doing. She was managing to keep her mouth shut surprisingly well.

Maybe I'll see if the human is worth keeping alive. Sans thought. He'd talk to her whenever he thought it was safe. She was...interesting to say the least. He thought it was stupid that she refused to kill anyone. But he also thought it was intriguing. Maybe she'll really help us.

But Sans had his own demons to worry about. Normally he would be at Grillby's at this time, chugging down spiked mustard to forget his pain. But now he couldn't, so his mind ran in circles.

Once Sans had been happy. Careless and naive. He and Papyrus had once been closer. He had raised him mostly, after all. Papyrus had been such an innocent child, full of wonder and curiously. Unfortunately a pack of ruthless bullies had changed that. They had taunted Papyrus and nearly killed him, scarring his skull. Sans blamed himself for not being there. After that, Papyrus had been hell bent on revenge, and believed that strength was the only way to live. He soon grew distant from Sans, using his powers for his own benefit. Then he grew merciless. He now killed for fun, and forced Sans to help him.

Frisk

I feel gross! Frisk thought to herself as she lay on the closet floor. She was aware that she was covered in dried blood. It was a nasty thought. But she couldn't dare say anything, or even move.

After a few hours, Sans opened the closet door. Before Frisk could even move he crouched down swiftly and slapped his bony hand across her mouth, causing her to flinch.

"Don't make a sound!" He hissed into her ear. "Just...sit there and keep your mouth shut. I opened the door to see if you were still alive. I guess ya are."

Frisk nodded, not wanting to do anything wrong. She sat still even after Sans took his hand away from her mouth. It was dark in the room, well past midnight, but her eyes had adjusted enough to make out Sans's features. His crimson eyes were narrowed as he looked at her. Then he grunted.

"Kid, you can talk as long as you keep your voice to a whisper." Sans said in a quiet tone. "But if you talk any louder than that I'll have to rip your tongue out, got it?"

Frisk nodded, not even sure if she knew what she'd say. She felt exhausted abs her ankle hurt a lot. Even bandaged, she could still feel pain.

"Thanks for helping me." Frisk whispered to Sans. She gazed at him through the darkness. "Why are you doing it though? I thought you wanted to kill me because you hate humans."

Sans

Sans felt like his soul was softening. He didn't understand why. He just looked at Chara, trying to find a way to answer her question.

"Your kind put us into this shit hole." Sans quietly said. "But I guess you didn't do that. I think you're an idiot for not killing others, but if you want to help us...maybe I should let ya."

"Please do." Frisk said softly. "I'm very sorry that we did this to you. That we drove you to killing others the way you do." She sounded genuinely sad. "I...I guess I'm trying to fix our wrong. Even if I didn't do it myself, it isn't fair that it happened at all."

Sans gazed at Frisk. He couldn't understand the way he felt when she talked to him. It was too much for him to handle. He decided he would try sleeping it off.

"Well I'm gonna go sleep in my bed now." Sans said with a grunt, standing up. He closed the door and locked it, satisfied when Frisk didn't object. "Now keep quiet until I wake up."

He went and lay in his bed, letting himself get pulled into a deep sleep.