Chapter 13: Papyrus's Discovery

Frisk

Frisk woke up with the realization that she had fallen asleep while trying to plan. She felt guilty and even disheartened due to the fact she still hadn't come up with anything to help save the monsters underground, but she understood that it might take a while of planning.

Sans kissed me. The thought suddenly, and intrusively, popped into Frisk's mind. She remembered, once again, the feeling of Sans's fingers digging into her shoulders as he leaned in to press his teeth to her lips. It had felt strange...she wasn't exactly sure how she felt about being kissed by the skeleton. She wasn't sure how she felt about him at all. She really just wanted to get to know him. He seemed sweet in his own twisted and rather dark and confusing way. She heard his bedsheets move as he got up, so she stood up and slowly opened the closet, knowing that Papyrus was long gone to patrol at that time. 

Sans grunted and frowned when she saw her open the door, and Frisk thought she could see faint traces of him blushing on his cheekbones.

"Hey," Sans said gruffly, "I have to go on sentry duty today."

"Are you, um, even going to talk about the kiss?" Frisk asked.

"Uh," Yup, Sans was definitely blushing now. "Well...it just happened, okay? I, um, guess I couldn't help myself." He chuckled awkwardly with a sheepish smile. "I guess you are a better person than everyone here...maybe, uh, I like you a bit." His eyes narrowed. "But don't let that get to your head!"

Sans

Frisk blushed. 

"Oh, Sans.." She murmured. "I knew you were capable of love."

"LOVE? I dunno if I kill enough to have much of that," Sans muttered. He hadn't ever really had much Level Of Violence. 

"Oh, Sans, I'm not talking about that kind of LOVE," Frisk replied. "I'm talking about the kind you feel for others. You know, crushing on others."

Sans scowled. "Oh, romantic love. Yeah, we don't really do that crap much around here." 

Frisk frowned, but Sans went on. "Down here, we mostly just partner up to reproduce when we feel aroused. We usually take someone as a partner for the children. A hot babe, y'know?" He winked at her. "You are one of those, that's for damn sure."

Frisk turned away. "Oh...yeah, maybe you should go. You know, to your station."

Sans frowned. "Is somethin' the matter?" He asked, expressing genuine concern. 

"You said you like me...but only sexually," For some reason, Frisk looked hurt. "You don't like me...the way couples should. Humans usually fall in love...some of us want partners who want us for our personality."

"Huh," Sans felt embarrassed and rather shocked. "We...haven't done that since the Great War. It's discouraged." He shook his head. "Well, uh...I guess I should go. I'll be back soon." He felt strange as he turned and left, teleporting to his station despite the exhaustion it usually caused for him. He was confused...it seemed like Frisk had the same mindset that monsters used to have long ago...

Frisk

Frisk slumped down in her closet, thankful for the fact Sans had left. Her eyes watered and she needed time to think.

Sans only likes me for my body, She thought sadly. He...he doesn't like me the way he made me think. She felt tears trickle down her cheeks. She hated how she felt, yet she should have guessed that monsters were different when it came to partnerships. They definitely weren't the same as humans in some aspects...

The thought made her hurt. She realized that she had a small crush on him. A genuine crush. She didn't know why, but she did. And all he wanted was sex...

Well, that wouldn't be so bad if he liked me for myself as well, Frisk thought to herself. I...I wouldn't mind doing the dirty if he liked me...for me. The thought surprised her. Wait, how the hell do skeletons do that? She froze at the sound of the downstairs door opening. Footsteps marched up the stairs and right up to Sans's room...footsteps that did not belong to Sans. Then she heard his bedroom door swing open and froze. She could tell it was Papyrus.

She heard him walk around and rifle through things, only for the closet door to finally swing open. She let out a scream as she stared into the cold, hostile eye sockets of Papyrus.

"What. Are. You?" Papyrus growled, his voice as cold as winter snow.

"I..." Frisk whimpered, not sure what to say.

"You are a human," Papyrus stared at her. "And you are in my brother's closet."

Sans

Sans teleported to his station, rather than walked. It made him even more exhausted than usual, which was why he rarely chose to use that power. He stood there, his shoulders slump, and stared blankly at literally nothing. Papyrus would hopefully come to check on him soon. Then he would let himself sleep. Or maybe not. If Papyrus came back while he was sleeping he might be in for a beating.

Frisk...Frisk things in the way monsters once did, it seems. She believes in that weird mutual love and attraction thing. Before Sans had completely given up hope, he had read loads of books about many things, most importantly scientific books and books about the history of monsterkind. Sans found himself realizing that it made sense, really, Frisk's way of thinking. Something about it really did make sense in all aspects he could think of. He kind of admired it...

I want to get to know the human better, Sans realized. I want to spend time with her. Maybe then I will be able to understand her way of thinking. Maybe I will be able to understand more of what I'm feeling...is this urge to protect her love, or is it simply an effect of lust? 

Sans rubbed his head. He had a headache due to the amount of effort he was putting into thinking. I gotta go home...if Paps doesn't come by noon I'm outta here. He can yell at me all he wants...he is usually here before then...

That's when he realized something.

It was way past noon.

Papyrus hadn't arrived yet.