Chapter 5: Almost Lust

Frisk

Sans's closet was dark and smelly. It was also quite cluttered. Frisk decided it was best to stay perfectly still. She simply lay on the closet floor, trying not to move. The disgusting taste of the medicine still lingered in her mouth, and she wondered if whoever made it had made it taste bad on purpose. Everything seemed terrible in this dark place. Well, as far as the cultural norms went anyway.

I wonder how Flowey is. Frisk thought with a sigh. She wished she hadn't been forced to leave him behind in the ruins. Even though she'd had no choice she still felt awful about it. He had been so nice to her...he risked a lot trying to hold off Toriel, who was so insane from living alone in the ruins that she wouldn't have ever let Frisk go.

What will happen to me now? Frisk wondered, her heart starting to pound faster with fear. She trusted Sans a bit now that he helped her...but he talked so much about killing that it scared her. The underground motto "kill or be killed" just wasn't her style. She couldn't fathom the thought of killing anyone ever.

Frisk sighed and let her mind wander, trying to think of good thoughts. But it was hard to be happy in such a dreadful environment. She closed her eyes, trying hard not to cry.

I hope I can save all these monsters. They don't deserve to live such awful lives here!

Sans

Waiting for Papyrus filled Sans with anxiety. He knew very well his brother would be pissed off when he saw that Sans wasn't at his post or on patrol. He sat on the tattered couch with his head in his hands, groaning.

What the hell is my problem?! Why did I bring the human back? He growled to himself. She's a human! She deserves to die! More than those monsters Papyrus kills... Sans shuddered. His brother was cruel when it came to punishing others. He had killed many monsters for doing petty things. Watching his brother do that...well, it really did things to Sans. He cleared his thoughts, trying to think about what to do now,

I guess I'll keep the human here. Papyrus won't notice if I sneak away from my post and come inside tomorrow. By then I should be able to leave the human by herself for a short amount of time. Sans thought. Then he decided to go back to his room. It wasn't worth worrying about his brother returning. Perhaps he'd assume he went to eat at Grillby's.

Sans walked upstairs into his room, locking the door behind him for good measure.

"Kid?" Sans asked gruffly. "You still alive there?"

He hears a muffled gasp coming from the closet. Then Frisk spoke. "I-I didn't hear you leave and come back!"

Sans chuckled and walked over to the closet door, sitting down with his back against it. "Easily startled, eh? Humans are weaker than I thought!"

Frisk

Frisk felt indignant at Sans's comment. "I'm not weak!" She protested. Well, she didn't believe herself. But she'd never let Sans know that!

She heard Sans snort from the other side of the door.

"So...kid." Sans said. "What made your kind decide to put us monsters underneath the earth?"

Frisk shrugged. "I...don't know. That was hundreds of years ago."

"Still doesn't change the fact your kind is a bunch of monster killers." Sans grumbled.

"I haven't killed anyone." Frisk said. "Nor do I intend to. I-I just want you all to be safe. To stop killing each other. And to go back to the surface."

Sans was quiet for a moment. Then he let out a laugh. It sounded...broken. "Kid, it's kill or be killed down here. The sooner you learn that, the better. Monsters will never show mercy to people like you. The way you act makes you weak, Frisk."

Frisk sighed, closing her eyes. She knew her task wouldn't be easy.

"Besides," Sans continued, "to leave the underground we'd need the soul of a human. Your soul would be the only way we'd ever get outta here. Killing you could be our only way out."

Frisk shuddered. The thought of how easily monsters killed others frightened her deeply. It was unsettling to think about the lack of love there was underground, and how the monsters were living up to the reputation humans had branded upon them. They really seemed as bad as the stories.

Sans

A strange feeling seemed to stir in Sans's soul as he talked to Frisk. It was something he wasn't sure he had ever felt before. He thought about how it had felt when he'd carried her home, and the shape of her body...

What the hell? Am I lusting over a human?! Sans thought, furious with himself. I have issues. Ugh! What the hell is wrong with me?

Sans was distracted when he heard the door downstairs open and slam shut. He knew Papyrus was home.

"Keep your mouth shut now, kid!" Sans hissed to the door. "My brother is home and we'll both be dead if he finds out you're here!"

Sans stood up and went over to his bed, crawling under the sheets and hiding there. Like a cowardly child. He hates himself at that very moment. He was already dead weight to everyone underground, even his own brother. Now he was making himself even more utterly useless.

I'm just a piece of crap! Sans thought furiously to himself. Not killing a human? Taking her in and healing her? Lusting over her? I wouldn't blame Papyrus if he ever kills me!