Chapter 27: Midnight Confessions

Frisk 

Opening her eyes, Frisk was greeted by the dim glowing pupils of Sans. She nearly threw herself off his bed as she let out a cry of surprise. Sans kicked her, sending her flying off the bed.

"What gives?" Sans snapped, though she could tell by his voice that her scream had startled him, and that him kicking her had only been an instinctive reflex. She understood that completely. Then he mumbled. "I...uh, sorry."

"It's fine!" Frisk said quickly, jumping to her feet and dusting herself off before feeling her way back to the bed and climbing to snuggle close to Sans. "I was startled when I woke up. I'm not really used to sleeping anywhere else other than the closet."

Sans sighed. "Yeah...sorry for making ya sleep in that gross closet. Didn't know where else to put ya."

"Well..." Frisk was blushing now and was thankful that is was so dark that Sans probably couldn't see her expression. She was also grinning slightly in a sheepish manner. "I could sleep with you on your bed now that some of the others know about me."

Sans's response showed his surprise. "You...wanna sleep in bed with me?" 

"Of course!" Frisk said with a giggle. "Oh, you know how I feel about you Sans. You know I'm in love with you."

Sans felt his soul stir a bit. "I...I love ya too, Frisk...I would kill for you." 

"No!" Frisk said quickly. "No, you don't really need to do that. Ever."

She took a deep breath. Time to tell him about my ability...

Sans

Sans sighed. "Frisk, I know ya don't want me to kill, but it's in our blood. We'll try not to kill your kind but, heh, no guarantee."

"Sans, um, I have something to tell you," Frisk said, her voice trembling slightly as though she was nervous about what she was going to tell him about. 

"What is it, Frisk?" Sans asked, trying to control his nerves. When he got nervous he got mad, and he was trying his hardest to learn how to not do that, as he was quite sure the humans wouldn't want that above ground and he really hoped that all the other monsters would learn how to control their messed up behavior as well. 

"I...I have a special ability," Frisk began breathlessly. "I hope by telling you this you will realize that I don't...well, never mind."

"Spit it out," Sans said, though he tried to control his tone to sound friendly instead of intimidating. He loved Frisk. He had to learn how to not scare her even by accident.

"I can reset the world!" Frisk blurted. "I...I am able to reset back to when I fell underground and I can save in certain spots in the underground too and reset to them. If I die, Sans, I don't die forever. But I really, really don't intend on ever doing that, especially now that we're a couple! I...I just wanted you to be less scared."

Frisk

Frisk was surprised when she felt Sans pull her toward him by the wrist. She let out a yelp of surprise and tried not to flinch. She saw now that the faint glow in Sans's pupils had vanished. That made the moment all the more terrifying and intense.

"You...you have been the one resetting?" Sans asked in a voice that made Frisk want to cry out in despair and fear. He was clearly angry.

"I...I haven't reset before! I just know I can!" She gasped quickly. Now she was confused and very, very anxious. "But someone has?! When?!"

Sans sounded relieved as he sighed and she felt him release her wrist, relieved to see the faint glow of his crimson orbs return. "Oh, sorry. It has happened before, kid. I used to tolerate Alphys a lil bit more enough to study quantum physics with her...but, well kid, after a few resets it seems like she can't remember jack shit. Now she's annoying as hell. But resets are one of the things that have made me lose hope."

"Oh...I'm sorry," Frisk murmured softly. Her heart and soul ached for her skeleton partner. "That must be very hard."

Sans just grunted in reply. She felt him shrug. "Welp, kid, if it ain't you then I really dunno who the hell it could be."

"I'm scared," Frisk confessed. "I...I really thought resets haven't happened before. I thought I was the only one who could do that."

She heard Sans's tone darken. "Believe me, Frisk, I wish that were the case..."

Sans

Sans was relieved that Frisk wasn't the one who had been resetting the underground...yet he was worried about who was. As far as he knew, no monster in the underground possessed that ability. But perhaps he just had limited knowledge, or his mind was jumbled from all the resets and abuse he had gone through in his life. To hell if he knew, really.

"You won't reset, will you?" Sans asked sharply. "Only do it if you have to, got it, human?"

Frisk's response was quiet and he couldn't tell exactly how she was feeling. "Yes. I don't want to have to reset. Ever."

"Good," Sans said, satisfied. Then he softened up a bit. "Frisk, I love you." He said softly, blushing furiously as he said so. He hadn't been that sappy ever since Papyrus had been just a baby bones, but he guessed he had to just get used to it now. It felt...weird.

But what felt weirder was when Frisk said, "I love you too, Sans, so much!" And gave him a hug. That didn't just feel weird, though...it felt...nice. 

Sans chuckled and rested his hand on Frisk's shoulder. He felt her seem to loosen up in his arms. It felt...comfortable. 

"Don't do anything stupid, ever," Sans said in a soft yet stern tone that even surprised himself. He never knew he was still capable of affection or gentleness. "I mean it, Frisk, even if you can reset..."

"Okay," Frisk said before giving him a loving kiss on the cheek. "I promise."