Chapter 8: Recovered

Frisk

A week with Sans was surprisingly less torturous than Frisk had been expecting. Of course, she was incredibly terrified that his brother would find her and she didn't like the way his room smelled, but he treated her better than she would have expected upon how they met. He made sure to keep the door locked and he didn't act suspicious. He also brought her lasagna that his brother made so she didn't starve to death. The gross thing, however, was she had to use a flipping pail to go to the bathroom and he kept it in the closet with her. It was disgusting but it was better than being caught by Papyrus, who she knew would slaughter her upon discovering her. 

Sans also made sure to check to make sure she was recovering properly. Granted, he could be pretty rough at times when he was handling her wound. She knew he was just trying to help her though, and she often wondered if he was even raised to know anything about gentleness and healing. Back above ground, Frisk was the daughter of a male nurse. Granted, her father was not a good guy yet she somehow managed to learn how to love before leaving and deciding to let herself drop into the underground to save the monsters. If she ever returned to the surface, perhaps she would be able to bond with him somehow even though he wasn't a good guy in spite of being a well-known nurse.

Sans

Sans inspected Frisk's leg, feeling her tense as his bony fingers brushed over her flesh. He found himself simultaneously enjoy her squirm while feeling guilty about it all at the same time. The skin was tender still but the wound had fully healed. 

"Hmm, you seem good, kid," Sans said with a grunt as he roughly released the human's leg and took a step back. "Just...be careful with it. Wouldn't want to fall into anymore traps, would ya?" He laughed, then winced and clutched his head feeling a powerful wave of pain. It was a headache. A tension headache, to be exact. He often got those from the stress of living with his killer machine brother. 

"Is something wrong?" Frisk asked, looking up at him with a worried expression.

Sans grunted and scowled, turning away from the human's anxious gaze. He wasn't sure how he felt about someone worrying about him. That was almost unheard of underground. "I'm whatever," He grunted in reply. He shrugged. "Just prone to headaches."

To Sans's discomfort and annoyance, Frisk sounded worried still as she continued to talk. "My father was a nurse...is, I should say. He isn't very nice but he did teach me a thing or two about headaches." She stood up on shaky legs. She hadn't stood up in a long time, Sans knew. He wasn't sure how he felt about her trying to help him.

"I'll be fine, kid," Sans replied coolly. 

The look on Frisk's face was surprisingly stern as she replied to him.

Frisk

"Sans, you took care of me," Frisk said stubbornly. "It's my turn to take care of you now."

Sans glared at her, though she swore she saw surprise in his dark gaze. He grunted once again. Frisk noted that the stubby skeleton seemed to grunt quite a bit. "Fine, whatever," He mumbled in an annoyed tone. "Just tell me what to do, 'kay? And keep it snappy and quiet. Wouldn't want Papyrus stumbling in on us."

Frisk looked at Sans, who was rubbing his head. "You need to drink more water, and possibly try to relax more. I know you sleep a lot but you don't seem relaxed." In fact, as Frisk spent nights in his closet she had become more and more aware that he twisted and turned in his sleep. Sometimes she could hear him thrashing beneath the sheets and sometimes he even made pained or angry or even frightened noises. 

Sans let out a bitter laugh, followed by a snort. "Relax? Never heard of him. Listen, kid, down here it's kill or be killed...nobody has time for that relaxation and meditation crap."

Frisk frowned, wondering what else she could advise the skeleton to do. "You sleep a lot, right?" She asked.

Sans shot her a glare. "Yeah? What of it?"

"You have time to do that, then you should have time to learn mindfulness," Frisk replied. 

"Mindfulness?" Sans laughed and scoffed. "Kiddo, we don't do that shit here." Then he looked curious. "Though some books I used to read did mention it..."

Sans

Sans couldn't help admiring Frisk for trying to help. Even though it was unnerving, he was very curious about her. Nobody had really ever tried to help him like that before. And he still loved that he didn't see cold hatred blazing in her eyes when she looked at him. Just kindness and genuine concern.

She doesn't belong in a place like this, Sans thought to himself. She'll only get herself hurt... He wanted to let her help the monsters of the underground, yet he didn't trust her not to get torn to shreds. Monsters did not have any use for humans down there. 

"What did they say?" Frisk asked.

"What?" Sans replied.

"The books," Frisk replied, drawing Sans right back into the conversation. "What did they say about mindfulness?"

"Oh," Sans rubbed the back of his skull sheepishly. "Just some shit about meditation and eating well. That kinda thing." He shrugged.

"Mindfulness is important," Frisk said softly. "If you want, I can help  you with it." She looked into his eyes. "Just like you helped me with my injury." She pointed to her leg, which was fully healed even though Sans knew there would be a permanent scar. 

"Huh," Sans chuckled. "We'll see about that. Don't you have an entire underground to rescue?" He asked, crossing his skeletal arms.

"Yes," Frisk replied, nodding slowly. "But I might as well start with you."

Sans felt himself feeling another strange urge. Once again he felt lustful. Of course he did. But he also felt...protective of the human's safety there.