Chapter 7: Ill

Frisk

Frisk woke up after a long uncomfortable period of time in the closet of Sans's room. Her ankle still hurt immensely, and it almost felt worse than when it had been freshly injured. But she also felt sick to her stomach, like she had eaten something awful. Pain made her stomach contract, and it was the most intense thing she had ever felt. 

I wish Sans would give me the okay to talk already! Frisk thought fiercely. I need to tell him how much pain I'm in! Maybe it's the medicine...maybe it's only good for monsters... She thought. She was suddenly quite curious. She wondered how he knew about the antidote in the first place. She actually wondered quite a bit about the skeleton... 

She perked up slightly when she heard the sound of Sans getting out of bed. She could hear the creak of his bed as he stood up. She also heard him grunt and crack his bones as though he was stretching. Then he got up and left the room, and she heard him unlock his door and lock it again behind him. 

Frisk waited a while before she heard the bedroom door open again. Then footsteps walked over to the closet door and Sans opened it. He looked at Frisk.

"Kid, you feelin' better today?" Sans asked.

"Not really." Frisk croaked, looking up at Sans. "I feel...so sick..."

"Huh. Makes sense. It took me a while to recover when I got stuck in one of my brother's traps." Sans shrugged. 

Sans

Sans had expected the look on Frisk's face when he told her that he had once gotten caught in his brother's poison traps.

"You got stuck in one of Papyrus's traps?" Frisk gasped, her eyes wide. 

"Uh huh." Sans said. He scowled at her. "Hey, don't look at me like that, kid! It's really hard not to get stuck when ya live in a town full of traps!" He remembered how furious Papyrus had been when he had caught Sans in one of his traps. But he had taken Sans back home to heal him. Sans took about a week to recover fully. 

"Oh..." Frisk let out a groan. "Yikes..." Her face contorted. Sans didn't like how weak and pathetic she looked lying on the floor of his closet. Her face was pale, and the dried blood stuck to her clothes from her wound didn't make her look any better either.

"Hey. Don't puke all over my floor." Sans growled. He was just trying to hide the worry he felt for the human though. He knew humans were different from monsters. What if the medicine didn't heal her?

Why does that matter to me anyway? Don't I want all humans dead? Sans thought. He tried to get rid of the thought. He wondered that so much. It didn't help. 

"I'll try..." Frisk wheezed. 

What should I do?  Sans wondered, beads of sweat forming on his skull. He didn't know anything about healing humans. The medicine was from Doctor Alphys, who had given it to Papyrus after Sans's injury. She was also the one who had made the poison to coat his traps with. Only she would know if it could help humans.

Frisk

"Wh...where is Papyrus?" Frisk asked weakly.

"Out patrolling for the day." Sans replied. He sat down in front of her with his legs crossed, looking at her. "How's your ankle?"

"Not better." Frisk sighed.

Sans nodded. "Figured. Look, kid, you probably won't be able to leave for some time. I guess it's up to me to feed you an' stuff, since I don't want you to die for some reason." He scratched his head. "That being said...anythin' else ya  think would help?"

Frisk nodded. "Well...can I have a bed of some sort...? Like pillows and blankets?"

"I guess. If that'd help you recover faster. Then yeah." Sans replied.

***

Frisk lay comfortably in the makeshift bed Sans had made for her. It was pleasant, although the blankets smelled musty as though they hadn't been used in ages. She had a few blankets piled underneath her, as well as some on top of her. Sans had tossed a pillow into the closet as well. She felt quite comfortable now.

"Thanks!" She said to the skeleton, smiling at him.

He grunted. "No problem, I guess." He was sitting in front of the closet once more with his legs crossed again. "Want any food, human?"

Frisk nearly hurled at the thought. She was so sick that she couldn't imagine ingesting anything. "No...no thank you." She stammered.

Sans nodded. "Suit yourself." He had a curious look on his face as he studied her.

Sans

Sans didn't feel hatred at all as he looked at the sick human girl. She clearly was no murderer. She just looked so fragile. Maybe humans aren't pieces of trash anymore. Sans thought. Maybe they might help us after all.

Frisk winced suddenly. "Er...how long do you think I'll have to stay here?"  She asked, her voice a weak whisper. 

"At least a week." Sans replied. "Hey, don't look at me like that." He said when she had a horrified look on her face. "It ain't gonna be that bad. Trust me. I won't let my bro get ya. I'll feed ya and stuff until you're fit to go."

As he looked at Frisk, he felt drawn to her. She was so...kind. She was unlike anyone he had ever met before. Unlike anyone underground. In fact, she was probably the only one other than his buddy Grillby who didn't look at her with burning hatred and resentment in their eyes. Most monsters didn't like him because of who his vicious brother was. Not that he could help it. And he eventually stopped caring. 

But maybe Frisk can make things change...