3 | A Strange Boy

Monday, April 16, 2007

I'm in my lunch spot reading when the boy from last week peeks his head around the corner of the shed. He steps into full view when he realizes I've noticed him. "The cherry blossom tree..." he begins.

"It's okay," I say, granting him permission.

He gives a small smile and sits down in front of the tree, about a meter away. Like always, he extends his legs out in front of him. He peeks at the pages of his sketchbook, opens to a clean sheet, pulls a pencil out of his pouch, then begins drawing.

I return to my book.

"Um... Is Senpai hiding too?"

'Too,' he says. What is he hiding from? Well, he does look like a kid who'd get bullied. But so far, he hasn't appeared until a while into lunch, so he must be somewhere else for the first part. With friends? Probably not. "Yeah."

For a few seconds, he's silent, seeming to not react to what I've said. Then he mumbles, "People... hate me."

I'm a person but obviously seem like an exception. But I can't say I hate him. "Hm... Me too." I initially say it dismissively but then find myself wincing. In truth, I'm pretty sure people don't know enough about me to hate me. Was I seriously compelled to let him think he's not alone? Why?

The boy glances over, watching me berate myself internally. "The same," he says, voice barely perceptible, before turning back to his drawing. I scratch my neck, filled with that unsettled feeling again.

Should I find a new spot? Ah, but I really liked this place. I sigh and go back to reading. To my relief, he doesn't say anything else for the rest of lunch. The sound of his pencil is pleasant background noise.

 The sound of his pencil is pleasant background noise

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

He's here again with his sketchbook and pencil case, busy drawing. Just when I think lunch will end this time without him having said anything, he asks me, "Senpai... you don't eat... lunch?"

It's a random question. He talks strangely. Nerves or an impairment? "Sometimes, I'll eat bread, but I'm usually not hungry." My appetite has always been below average, but in the past few months, it's decreased even more. Strangely, my body remains perfectly healthy. I chalk it up to genes.  "You?" If he doesn't eat properly, that'd explain his small stature.

"Ah, I... eat before I come here."

"I see." I'm not sure why I asked because upon hearing his answer, I don't care.

"Don't you think... eating is a bit... embarrassing?"

Trying not to let my confusion show on my face, I turn my eyes towards him. "Isn't it something everyone does? You have to eat to survive." His level of shyness is astounding.

He blinks in surprise then gives a barely detectable nod. "Mn... Senpai's right..."

And then the bell rings.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Today he's shown up closer to the start of lunch and brought strawberry cream bread. He eats it silently, then stops when he notices me observing him. "Is it weird?" he asks softly, looking at me in worry. His eyes always shine with something, regardless of which emotion they're showing. They remind me of my mother's. But for her, rather than a shine, it's a film, and that something is mental instability.

"No," I assure him with a shake of my head. I wonder when I should tell him about the spot of cream on his cheek.

His eyes show relief as he continues eating and takes a more confident bite. I'll tell him later and let him enjoy his food for now.

When the bell rings, he gets up to leave. I can't let him go back to class like that. "Uh... You have a bit of cream on your face." I tap my cheek.

The first year's turn red. I'll feel guilty if the embarrassment causes him to stop eating. He quickly wipes his cheek.

This is painful. "It's... the other cheek."

He repeats the movement on the other side, even more flustered. "I-is it gone?" His large eyes flash up.

Now, this is painfully cliché. I stand up and walk over to him. After taking my handkerchief from my pocket, I fold it and slowly reach forward. Just a quick swipe and it's over. "It's gone now." I put the handkerchief in my pocket and immediately walk away. Thank god he isn't a girl to cause misunderstandings. Though, a small part of me still feels like I've made an uncomfortable mistake.

***

As usual, I make my way straight home after school. To the station, ride the train, get off after a few stops, and walk home. Since I moved here, there have been only a few other students who walk to their homes in the same direction after leaving the station. It didn't change even with the start of the new school year. But today, I get this weird feeling, like someone is watching me. As I focus more on the prickling sensation, I hear the sound of footsteps. The further we get, the more curious I become and then finally turn around. It's that strange boy with shining eyes. I should probably learn his name. He's a block away, but it's clear he's the presence I've sensed behind me the whole time. When I stop, he halts in his tracks, eyes wide.

When I begin to walk towards him, he stiffens and takes a small step back. "Do you live in this direction?" I ask once I'm close enough for him to hear me. I hope the answer is yes and that I haven't gained a stalker.

He nods twice. "Yes."

"Where?"

He points ahead. "Um... In the apartments." He names some road I'm not familiar with. Not to say it doesn't exist. I'm not familiar with the area since I don't go out much. But I don't think he's the type to lie.

I nod slightly then turn around, continuing my route home. When I turn a corner, I hear behind me, "Pardon my leave." I look back just in time to see him bow and scurry off in the direction he pointed earlier.

He's weird but genuinely harmless. I'll ask him his name tomorrow.