33 | Changed Yet Unchanged

Hitori pulls back his arms and takes a step away. "Ah, sorry." His big eyes shift around, and he stammers. "Two men hugging... weird. Uh... happy..."

"How?" How is he here?

His eyes stop darting around to land on me. "Uh, well..." He smiles, tucking in his chin. "It's a little complicated. But... I'm very happy. Very happy."

"Oh." Simply put, I'm in shock. I never thought I'd see him again. Is this a dream? I poke his porcelain cheek, which then flushes red. Wow, he's real.

Hitori slaps my hand away. "Wha―?!" His eyes narrow in displeasure and some negative emotion that seems unlike him―hostility or anger―shows. "Weird!"

I stare at him. He's a bit different.

"You can't..." He rubs his cheek as if trying to rub the red stain away as well, and I just watch him, still confused and in a daze.

There's a loud grumble, and I look up at the sky as Hitori looks down at his stomach. Our eyes meet.

"Are you hungry?"

Hitori pulls his hood up and around his face. "Embara―...."

"Come with me," I say slowly. I begin walking towards my car and look back. Hitori takes a single step forward then follows.

After we buckle in, I pull off. "So, how did you get here?"

"Bullet train."

He hasn't changed after all. "How did you end up at the cemetery? You were waiting for me, right? How did you know?"

"Oh... um... I'm not a stalker! I promise. Um... I just..." Hitori frowns. "Uh, it's a long story."

"I have a lot of time," I tell him, making sure to make eye contact. "Tell me everything."

Hitori begins his monologue:

"It started last Winter. Father took a business trip. I was feeling s-sad, so I used some of my saved money to take a trip to Tokyo. I went to your house, but you weren't there anymore. I asked your neighbour, but all she knew is that someone died and no one lives there anymore. I went to our old school and asked your teacher, and she told me your mother had died, and you moved to England... She didn't have any information or details. I was sad and thought I'd never see you again. I gave up.

"Um... this Spring, I started living on my own. I live in an apartment. Father paid for it, and I have to finish high school, but I must pay him back. I want to have a job, but... Oh, anyway, um, I save money." He balls his fist in a gesture of strength. "I saved some of the money Father gives me for living, and I saved it. Um... Iborrowedalittlebitofmoney," he admits but continues rapidly, "but―um―I h-hired a private detective. He was very kind and gave me a discount! Um, your teacher gave me the idea. Not on purpose, though!

"Oh, anyway, I hoped you'd come visit on her death anniversary. I hoped and prayed, so I waited just in case you came on a di―" He cuts himself off. "Um, yes. I was waiting at the grave―I talked to your mom! I told her how nice you were to me in school and thanked her for giving birth to you and raising you. We talked a bit. Then... your father showed up. I knew right away you were related! He looks so young and handsome, like Hyde-san." Hitori gets a dazed look. I have no clue who Hyde-san is. "He was very nice and told me you were coming and to wait."

There are so many questions I want to ask as follow up, but I don't know where to begin or if he'll even answer. There's clearly some details he doesn't want me to know.

"But, you've changed a little," Hitori says.

"Have I?" I park the car near a street of restaurants.

He nods once, taking off his seatbelt. We get out of the car and start walking along the sidewalk. "I-I don't just mean your muscles either. And I grew, but how come you're even taller?" He pouts. "I grew a whole centimeter!"