35 | Bloodthirsty

Sunday, June 15, 2008

The day went by smoothly. Code Blues, Levels 1-5. Nonetheless, I come back to the hotel room feeling drained.

When I enter, Hitori greets me as usual. "Welcome back. Good work."

"I'm home."

Yesterday, I came back to empty plates of food lying about, but today, I don't see any.

"Did you eat dinner?"

He shakes his head and looks down, twisting his fingers around one another. "I... I was hoping... I can eat together with Natsu-senpai."

"Ah."

"Is it okay?"

"Mhm."

"Um... then... " he picks up the menu from the small table. "Please choose."

"Just bread," I say, glancing at the menu.

Hitori pouts. "...It's not fair."

"Eh?"

"You got mad at me for not eating full meals, but... Natsu-senpai doesn't eat full meals." He frowns, shifting his gaze away, and mutters, "It's not fair."

I lean towards him and say, "Look at me," while glancing down at my own body. "And look at yourself. 'Not fair?' you say?"

Hitori opens his mouth to protest but hesitates, seemingly realizing he has no good counter-argument. Dissatisfied, he puffs out his cheeks.

I smile slightly. "What do you want me to eat?"

Hitori shakes his head. "N-Natsu-senpai can eat what he wants. I won't complain."

I ruffle his hair. "Then bread and miso soup. I'm going to take a bath."

He nods, and I head to the bathroom to bathe. Through the wall, I hear him humming. It reminds me of his claim a year ago of talking to birds. I'll ask him about it later. When I come out of the bathroom, Hitori is drawing in his sketchbook and shields it from my sight once he spots me.

"What are you drawing?" I ask.

"It is a secret."

A secret, eh? "Did you watch TV today?"

"Yes. I watched it."

"What did you watch?"

"Documentary."

"About what?"

"Afurika jangaru."

African jungle, huh. I smirk at his pronunciation. "What did you find most interesting?"

The doorbell rings. Hitori jumps up, but I make it to the door before him. We set the food on the table and sit across from one another.

"You ordered cake?"

"Yes. It's called 'compromise.' Do you know that word? Ah, of course, Senpai does. Senpai's smart."

I watch Hitori slide forkfuls of strawberry cake into his mouth and wonder when he's going to move over to his plate of chicken and vegetables.

"W-would Natsu-senpai like some?" He holds out his cake-coated fork to me.

"No, thanks."

"...Senpai's changed," he says, just like the first day.

I give him a weak smile.

"You used to look like you thought the world was boring and like you hated it."

"And now?"

"Now," he begins and continues slowly, "you look like you're too tired to hate it." I chuckle, and Hitori looks up at me curiously. "Is it funny?"