Chapter 9

Rose took her place at the table while dinner was bring served by the elven servants she had gotten to know in the past 4 hours. Her personal servant came over to her said that Elrond had asked to see Rose in his personal study before she ate. Upon hearing this, she quickly got up and followed her servant, Isil to Elrond's study. Elrond was already there waiting for Rose as the door opened he placed the dual swords inside the drawers inside his desk.

"Ah Rose, great to see you again," said Elrond with his serious tone as usual, "I asked Isil to bring you here so I could discuss about the next few hours."

He nodded to Isil to leave the room so he could have more a more personal talk with Rose.

"Rose, I called you here so I could talk to you about the next couple of days," he said with a calm tone, "I would also like to point out that the company that you are joining, the leader dislikes elves. Ever since the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, the dwarves have hated our kind for the past 100 years. So be careful when you travel with them." he added with a little concern in his voice like he didn't want her to leave.

"I will be careful," said Rose, "but I might need to protect myself in case of some attack that might happen."

Elrond listened and then pulled out a book filled with possible weapons. He explained some weapons would be more helpful than others.

"I will give this book for the evening and you could look at the weapons you might want to use," he said while giving the book to her.

"Thank you," Rose said and took the book.

While looking at the smooth leather book and walking toward the door, she stopped and asked, "Is it possible I could use dual blades or is that too much," she asked.

"Well, I can see what I can do," Elrond responded, "I will talk to the blacksmiths. It might be possible but I don't know."

As they walked back to the banquet, Rose quickly went to her room to put the book in the bag Isil had given to her. As she closed her door, she joined everyone at the banquet.

After given the signal to leave the dinning hall, Rose had the feeling she was being watched. Turning around, she saw a dark figure in the shadows.

"Come out and show yourself," she said, "I'm not afraid of you."

"I know you are not afraid because if you were, you would have ran," the figure said.

Rose took a step back and she was shocked when she saw the figure walk from the shadows into the light. The man was short but very muscular. He had long dark beard and hair, a distinctive royal blue hood, a fur-lined coat and had to be an elven sword strapped to his belt.

"I am still not afraid," Rose said as she straightened herself, "I just know you-"

"What? You know what about me? You know nothing of me! The Elves hate my kind and forever will," He angerly said in a harsh tone.

Startled, Rose took a step back and turned to leave then he spoke again,

"Please forgive me, I did not mean to come off harsh and stern. I have tried to read this letter from an old friend but I cannot because it's in a different language."

"Well," responded Rose, "may I try to read it?"

"You may try, but I don't know if you can read it," he responded, "but be my guest and try."

Putting the letter closer to the torchlight, Rose realized that this was written in English. Thinking quickly she made up and excuse so she could say she could read it.

"This... This is written in perfect cursive, which is a type of writing where I am from, so I can see how many could not have been able to read it," Rose explained and then asked, "While I am reading this, may I ask. What is your name?"

"My name is Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór, and King under the Mountain." Thorin responded, "What is yours?"

"Rose, Rose Redwood," Rose responded.

After talking with Thorin for 45 minutes, she eventually went to her bed and saw two long items wrapped in thick cloth that had a note that said 'do not open unless an emergency'. Picking them up, she realized they were lighter then she expected. Seeing the straps to carry them, she placed them next to her bag. She changed into her clothes for bed and fell asleep quickly. Soon she was awoken by someone knocking on her door. Opening the door, she realized that Thorin was standing there.

"The company is leaving, are you coming?" He said

"Yes, yes let me get my stuff. I only have a little bit to carry." She responded.

Closing her door, she got dressed and grabbed her stuff. Putting her bag and the long items on her back using the straps and with that, she joined the dwarves outside the palace. Before leaving, she took one quick look at Rivendell before turning and following the dwarves.