3

Welcome back, and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

"Lydia-chan! Lydia-chan! Where could she have run off to?" A redhead asked herself as she traveled farther along into the forest. Early this morning the two women had agreed to hang out in the forest together, one on the hunt for herbs, and one practicing her archery skills. It was perfect for the two, that is, until Lydia decided to wander off on her own being the adventurous girl she is. Eventually Shirayuki found the brunette she was searching for shooting an arrow as a tree trunk up ahead. She smiled to herself and caught her attention, reminding her that they needed to meet with Mitsuhide and Kiki at the castle in a little while.

"We have to head that way soon, or else we'll be late!" Shirayuki exclaimed as Lydia sighed.

"I know, I know, it's just that- This is the first time I've been able to walk about a forest on my own without sneaking away. I haven't really been able to train my archery skills in peace either. I've always been dragged away from doing these tasks by my old guards and staff. I just wanted a bit more time to spend here and take on the fresh smell of freedom I suppose." She spoke, off in thought as she gazed up into the leafy trees. Shirayuki frowned and apologized for her rushed nature as Lydia only smiled at her and waved her off.

"Don't apologize to me. You couldn't control any of my past even if you wanted to. Let's just get going, I'd actually like to see Mitsuhide-kun and Kiki-chan right about now." She explained as she slung her bow over her shoulder and took her arrow back from the tree, placing it in the quiver on the other side of her shoulder. The two then walked off to the castle together, talking about random nonsense until they reached the gates of the palace. They watched as an old man came through the gates with a cart, only being allowed in after showing them some kind of necklace. Shirayuki asked about it and the two guards they had met the other day explained that they were passed into the castle and nobody could be granted access into the castle without one.

"Right, Ranbetsu has something along those lines too, but they have special bracelets and not necklaces!" Lydia called out as the guards asked her how she knew about their policies. She nervously chuckled.

"I er- I happened to love there for a long while and so I had to learn about some things like that whilst staying there." She explained as they nodded and told them that the two females were actually exceptions to that rule with special permissions from the prince. That was when they were finally let through, and Lydia walked side by side with Shirayuki into the castle.

"Did you ever need a pass into the Ranbetsu castle, Lydia-chan? Considering your true status I would assume not." Shirayuki inquired as Lydia shook her head.

"No, the staff all knew me well enough to tell who I was based on just looking at my face. I never really needed a pass unless we hired new staff or I was in my hood after sneaking out of the castle."

"Did you sneak out frequently?"

"Whenever I got the chance, yeah. I hated being cooped up in there with my father."

"Do you- Hate him?"

"Huh"

"Do you hate your father then?"

"I- No, no I don't. I just disagree with his rules. Maybe one day I'll go back and visit him, maybe we both will talk things out, but for now, I'd rather stay right here. I like this kingdom and it's people, I have no reason to leave just yet." She explained as they met up with Mitsuhide and started walking about the castle, unaware of a blonde lord watching them from a distance. Mitsuhide took Shirayuki to Zen's office space while Kiki came over and took Lydia to the courtyard where there were some targets set up.