22 | Undeniable Beast

<Kagura>
First of all, this kind of doesn't make sense. Nobume said that the attacker had vermilion hair, so does that mean he's not the one?
Out of breath from exchanging blows, I leaned up against the wall, contemplating on my next move.

"For a little girl, you're quite barbaric aren't you?" Much like your older brother." The man touched his right ear and laughed when he noticed the blood dripping after I bit his ear. "Wouldn't expect any less from a fellow Yato."

"Shut your trap you old man." I barked, "who do you think you are spilling blood in broad daylight? It's not good for the skin."

"The name's Abuto, little one. And I just find these situations always thrilling." He smirked, "now come on, this will go on all day." Abuto reached his hand out towards me, "don't you want to go back home? No one here can ever understand you."

I lowered my hands and dropped them from my side. Don't let his words get to you. That's what kept repeating in my head but I didn't know why it kept dominating my thoughts terribly.

He's right. I hate how he's right.

"It's okay." I spoke, "that's okay." I looked up and glared at him, "it's my own battle anyways. I will fight with my heart and not my blood, even if I'm forced on the battlefield for the rest of my life."

"Fight with your heart? Don't be silly." He started walking up towards me and grabbed my chin. "You won't survive."

"Watch me."

When he tightened his grip and tried to force me down, I coiled my legs around his arm and shifted my weight. Unfortunately for my weight, I couldn't do as much damage as him so I had to compromise.

"You can't hurt me, you've still got much to learn even if you're Umibouzo's daughter."

I released my grip and put distance between us. Clenching my fist and letting my stiffness go, I let my Yato blood run through me on my own accord. I won't let it decide my fate, I will force it to my will no matter how difficult it will be.

"I'm not defined by my father's name nor the home I've grown up in. Screw the Yato clan. My name is Kagura."

Abuto chuckled and placed his hand on his hip.
"I like those eyes." He positioned himself into a defensive stance. "But words alone won't save you."

As he was about to strike again, something zipped by me. A blur of a person was able to knock Abuto off balance and with a final blow, the person axed kicked him. Abuto staggered to the ground, on his knees, as he looked up to see who interrupted our fight.

"I warned you the first time didn't I? Unless my father's words are your absolute?"

Speechless, my hands began to tremble as I saw Kamui standing in front of me.

"K-Kamui..." I said his name and slightly peeked behind to look over.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded my head even though I wasn't. My body felt like it was going to give any second and my shallow breaths began to pinch my chest.
Why is he here?

I could see the vexations in his expression as he examined me. Though, he didn't expose my lies nor try to blame me.

"Who's there?!"
A voice loudly erupted and I started to panic. If a teacher sees this then we'll really be in trouble!

"We'll see each other again."
Abuto childishly grinned and made his escape. He jumped onto some wooden boxes and made it to the top of the small shed. In a matter of seconds, he was gone altogether.

"K-Kamui, you have to get out of here." I went up to him and touched his arm, "I'll think of something." I assured.

Kamui turned to face me and placed both is hands on my shoulder. His worrisome expression shifted into the that obnoxious smile that I knew too well.

His mask.

"That won't do." He patted my head gently and without warning, he raised his hand and struck down on my neck.

In the moment of paralysis, my muscles went numb while my vision betrayed me. However, his simple smile was the last thing I saw before I blacked-out.
•••••••
When I woke up, I found myself laying in the schools infirmary. I remember the room by it's particle smell of plastic gloves and slight chill.

"You're awake."

I looked over and saw nurse Kyuubei with her hands in her white coat pocket leaning over.

"You gave us quite a shock. Fortunately, Gintoki was able to find you guys."

"Huh?" I tried to sit up while leaning on my arm.

"The other student who was unconscious beside you was sent to the hospital after we examined him along with you here. You on the other hand only have minor injuries. A tough one aren't you?"

"You could say that." I mumbled.

"I've applied ointment on your waist, you'll see a dark bruising when you check later. I thought you may have broken a rib but Gintoki was so sure that you didn't." She sighed, "what happened out there?"

"I'm not sure." I spoke, biting my lower lip and looking down at my hands, "I heard a commotion and checked on it. Before I knew it, I woke up here." I flatly deceived her. "Was anyone caught?"

My stomach didn't feel good when I asked the question. The idea of Kamui being dragged into this would make everything complicated.

"Unfortunately no." She replied. "But with what happened, they'll excuse you as the culprit wouldn't they? I heard during the disciplinary committee meeting that they suspected you."

"So I'm off the hook?"

"You could say that. Unless you beat up that student then abused yourself to make it look like you were a victim as well."

I frowned and nurse Kyuubei slightly chuckled. She went back to her desk and started typing in her computer while sipping the coffee I could smell from the white cup.

"But even that is extreme isn't it? You get some rest and later you can give me your parent's number so I can call them about the incident."

"No." I rejected, "it's okay, it's not like-,"

"Stop being stubborn. I don't know what's with you kids and feeling embarrassed that you hide everything from your parents. We'll discuss this later, get some sleep while you can."

I laid back down and stared at the white ceiling.
Of course you wouldn't understand. I can't even trust my father at this rate and it's not like calling home will do any good.

Pulling the covers over, I really wanted to suffocate myself. I started to remember Abuto's mockery and felt the shame of defeat. I couldn't even compete with his strength and Kamui saved me again.

I hate myself right now, I just want to disappear.