31 | Snowflake

<Kagura>
When I got home after school, I saw that all of Kamui's belongings were gone. The pillow and blankets were neatly folded away and looked as if no one had been staying in there for a couple of weeks. Just like when he left before.

"Did he realize that I figured him out and now he's on the run again?" I sighed and dropped my bag in the ground.

Annoyed, I didn't like how I would always tell him what was on my mind and my troubles but he would never open up to me. I hate this side of him where I don't know what he's struggling with.

I checked my phone and saw that he hasn't read any of my messages since this morning. Did something happen and he had to leave? What if he got hurt?

BUZZ, BUZZ

My phone started to vibrate in my hands and when I thought it was Kamui trying to reach me, it was Okita calling.

He never calls, what's with him all of a sudden?
I pressed answer and placed the phone up to my ear.

"Hello?"

"China, you must of grabbed my AB calculus notes. I have subject-exam tomorrow." He said without a greeting.

"What? Why would I have it?" I groaned and opened my bag to prove that I don't have it on me but I was mistaken. "Haha, whoops. I guess I do have it." I said.

"Well. At least I know where it is." He sighed.

"Want me to bring it over? You don't live far if I can remember you saying once." I insisted, "I did take it accidentally."

At first I thought he would reject the idea and say he would rather fail then to have me come over. Though, his words that came after that short pause was rather shocking.

"I'll send my address." He responded.

"S-sure." I answered, "I'll be going then."

BEEP

Ah, he hung up.
With a pout, I started to wonder why I even offered to go to his place to give it to him if he won't be appreciative. Whoever he marries in the future, I feel so bad for her.
•••••
Locking up the front door and making my way out, it began to lightly snow. I reached out and snowflakes landed on my palm. For a moment, I was able to see the details in the arms before they melted away completely.

"It's been awhile since I've seen snow." I said aloud while I stared at Okita's address on my phone. Fixing my scarf, I hurried downstairs and to the streets.

Typing his address into the map app on my phone, his place was a seven minute walk from mine. It was a traditional street name so from that I assumed it will be a house similar to Shin-Chan's.

As I walked about, I managed to see a few students from my school. They didn't notice me at all nor did I know them so I didn't really care if they saw me.

Once I made it, I saw a car driving up with its fronts light flashing. Texting Okita that I was here, I glanced back at the car that didn't move. At first I was confused but when I saw the car parked, the person who came out was none other than Hijikata-Sensei himself.

"Heh?!" I took a step back, "are you stalking me?"

"What are you doing here?!" He also questioned with a surprised expression.

"I could say the same!" I responded.

I thought Okita and Hijikata-Sensei weren't on good terms. What kind of situation is this?

He stared at my hands and saw the notebook I was carrying. He didn't seem like the guy to have good judgment so I waited.

"Studying together?" He thought.

Out of the question.

I shook my head.

The gate doors finally opened and I saw Okita in regular clothes come out. Like usual, he had his hands in the pockets of his sweatpants and stared at me. He didn't notice Hijikata-Sensei at all.

"H-here." I awkwardly handed him the notebook and I turned my eyes towards Hijikata-Sensei who looked like he was going to leave.

Okita caught on and his hands stopped to grab the notebook. He shifted his body towards him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He said aloud.

"Nothing kid. Just go back inside or you'll catch a cold wearing that." He replied with a short wave.

"You're really something aren't you? Are you that indecisive?" Okita continued to call him out.

"What's with all the noise?"
A new voice appeared and I saw Okita's older sister emerge from the open doors with a face of concern.

"It's nothing Sister, go back inside." He assured.

"Good afternoon." I bowed my head to greet her and she smiled, then she saw Hijikata-Sensei.

At first she blushed and then hid her expression. Okita even rolled his eyes, grabbed the notebook out of my hands, and went back inside without a word.

"It's nice to see you again Kagura-Chan. Aren't you so kind to deliver Sou-Chan's notes? Why not stay for awhile? You too Toshiro-San."

"I was passing by." He said with his back facing us, "it's cold out you know, it's not good for you."

Witnessing this odd scene, I could pick out the small things that indicated their relationship. Shy lovers and young love but I couldn't help but to feel something sad coming off from it too.

"I should get back now. Thanks for the offer." I declined and bowed my head.

"The both of you are already here, might as well stay right? Come in and stay awhile, I'm preparing for dinner soon and it would be lovely to have extra guest." She offered.

The way she looked at us made me feel guilty. What if I say no and she collapses again? Okita will surely come after my head regardless of my explanation.

I looked over at Hijikata-Sensei and it seemed like the same idea ran through his thoughts. With a slight head nod, he finally answered.

"I guess I could stay for a bit." He replied.

Hesitatingly nodding my head too, I scratched my head. What have I gotten myself into? Strange as it was, this could be a good opportunity to look into the Okita's mysterious life at home.

His room is probably filled with sadistic items like the ones you see in those tinted basement stores with 18+ signs. Maybe a torture chamber too. Why am I even thinking about all of this?

Okita's sister touched my hand and smiled. Taking a deep breath in, I gleamed back and spoke,

"thanks for having me."