Its Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

- |Amber Waters

Driving back to my hometown was not something I enjoyed doing

Driving back to my hometown was not something I enjoyed doing. This place didn't harvest the greatest memories for me. Darvey was a small town smack dab in the middle of Georgia. It was the type of town where everybody knew each other, you couldn't do anything without everyone knowing, and a town that could make or break you. And this town definitely broke me for different reasons. I could honestly live the rest of my life peacefully without coming back here ever again. But, it was the holiday season and Christmas was coming up so I put my pride aside for the sake of family.

My parents wanted all five of their children, and those who had families, to come stay with them for the whole week, since we all haven't been together in a while.

Pulling up to my parents house I noticed that it was decorated festively with multicolored string lights and other decorations along the house. Around the yard I could see one of my nieces, my nephew, and my cousins playing tag. On the porch, my dad and all my uncles and older cousins were sitting around talking, some with beers in their hands, others cigars. You know the usual black grown man scenery.

As I got out of my car combinations of "Amber"s and "Auntie Amberrrrrr!"s could be heard as they all screamed in unison while their little feet ran towards me. All of them simultaneously reaching up for hugs.

"Hey guys! I missed you all!" I bear hugged them all at once making them scream in delight. "We missed you too. Do you need help Auntie Amber?" My nephew Cairo, the oldest of the bunch offered.

He was my eldest brother, Andre's, son. And boy was he a spitting image of him. He shared his hair texture, skin tone, and most of all chivalry. Andre was definitely raising this boy right.

A grin snuck across my face at his sweet gesture. "It's okay Cairo, I got it. Thank you though!" I kissed his forehead allowing him to continue playing with the others. Huffing out a breath of cold air, I grabbed my rolling suitcase out the trunk of the car and headed towards the inside of the house.

"Hey daddy!" I yelled walking up the steps to where him and my uncles stood. "Babygirl!" He grabbed me up and spun me around. We exchanged I missed you's and how are you's before he directed me to go inside and see the rest of the family.

"Hellooooo." I spoke as I barged through the house. The smell of some good ol cooking entered my nostrils instantly making my stomach growl.

"Awe hell! Here go Amber." My loud ass older brother Andre yelled as he walked out from the kitchen and into the living room. He towered me at 6'4. He was the tallest in my family and no one could quiet figure out where his height came from. He was buff in stature, and lightskin with hazel eyes. His appearance was different from everyone's in our families but we tended to ignore it.

"Hey to you too, Andre!" I rolled my eyes while holding my arms up to be embraced by my big brother. "I missed you lil girl." He spoke softly while rocking us side to side. I missed being in my older brothers presence.

"I'm not little no more nigga, I'm grown." I pulled away grabbing my suitcase and handing it to him. "Take this upstairs for me, yeah." I spoke, quickly walking away before he could protest.

Entering the large white kitchen I laid eyes upon my grandma, my two aunties, my Mom, and Andre's girlfriend Vanessa.

"Hey everybody!" I spoke greeting them all with hugs and kisses before walking over to Vanessa. Vanessa was my height 5'5, thick little Black and Mexican thang. She's the sweetest person I've ever met and her heart was literally full of gold. She and Andre met back in high school and have been high school sweethearts ever since. They had Cairo Andre's senior year,(Vanessa's Junior) and my little dreamy pooh a few years later. I hoped I'd have a relationship as strong as theirs. Or atleast patience as strong as Vanessa's because Lord knows Andre puts her through it. She was dressed in black ugg boots, distressed jeans, and a black Astroworld hoodie. Her makeup was light and natural and her hair was out in a cute side part bob.

"Vanessa darlingggg, how have you been." I spoke in a fake accent embracing her in a hug. "Quite well my love, and you?" She spoke back in the same terrible accent making us both laugh. "Girl I been going through the motions." I spoke as we both sat down at a table farthest from everyone.

"When are you going to get a boyfriend? My kids need some more first cousins to play with!" She smiled slyly.

"No ma'am, no ham, no turkey. Baby I don't do kids." I shook my head. The thought of having a little rugrat running around was enough for me to never have sex. And plus I didn't have my life together in the slightest bit. I was a 20 year old college dropout trying to find her way through this life shit. This Zara paycheck was barely paying me enough for my bills.

"Speaking of first cousins. Where's your sister and Chloe at? I would've thought they'd beat you here, since you live the farthest."

I moved as far from my little town as I could. I ended up moving 4 hours north up, in the city. Small town life wasn't for me. But it was for Andre and Vanessa.

Shrugging, I grabbed a sugar cookie off a plate munching on it. "Girl I haven't talked to Adrian in like 2 years."

"Damn, y'all still beefin?" Confusion was written all over her face. I opened my mouth to speak, but I quickly shut it at the sound of my annoying older sisters voice ringing through the house.

"Hey guys!" She barged into the kitchen with a smile plastered over her face. I couldn't tell if it was truly genuine or deceitfully fake.

Her outfit was as extra as her personality. She wore black thigh high heels with a tan sweater dress. As much as I don't want to say it, her wig was slayed I'll give her that. Being a social media influencer came with its perks I guess.

She made her way through the kitchen with my beautiful niece Chloe hot on her trail. Her hair was pulled up into a little bun and her baby hairs swooped. Her outfit was just as extra as her mommy's, as she wore black high ugg boots and a similar sweatshirt dress.

"Hey Chloe, baby." Vanessa spoke in her warm motherly tone grasping Chloe in her arms. Adrian got pregnant with Chloe her summer of freshman year. Let's just say my whole family fast. EXCEPT, me. "Hi Anty Nessa, hi Anty Amber." She giggled hugging us both before running back towards the front door.

"Aye watch out Chlo." A slightly familiar males voice was heard before appearing in front of the kitchen opening. "Oops sorry R." She hugged his leg before continuing her mission out to the other kids playing.

" She hugged his leg before continuing her mission out to the other kids playing

He was brown skin and not really tall but tall enough. I'd say he was 5'9. His eyes were a really pretty light hazel color but I couldn't really tell from the distance we were at. He was dressed extra too in a black givenchy shirt and black jeans with some black shoes. Some chains peaked from the top of his shirt and his watch glistened in the lights.

The kitchen fell silent as everyone laid eyes on this mystery "R" person. I almost didn't recognize who this was until she said

"Everybody this is Rodrick, my fiancé." She giggled holding onto his arm while flashing her ring.

Instantly, making my jaw drop straight to the floor.