|2|

Kenji glances worriedly at the door yet again, fidgeting nervously in his seat at the dining table, Noboru and Arata flanking him whilst eating their dinner. After Arata had gotten out of the bath, Kenji had gotten Noboru to take a bath as well and had prepared a dinner for the four of them.

Although there were only three present.

"Kenji-san, where is Atsuko nee-chan?" Noboru asks quietly, eating a spoonful of soup whilst looking at said blond. Kenji sends him a reassuring smile, although on the inside, he was worried for Atsuko.

She had said that she would only be gone for about 20 minutes, but it's been closer to an hour since she left. Not only that but it was dark out and harder to navigate around the village. At the same time, he knows that she is a very capable kunoichi and would be able to defend herself in practically any situation.

"She'll be back soon, she just needed to grab a few things from home," Kenji replies, standing up from his seat at the table.

"Are you done with your meals?" Kenji asks, grabbing his dish and the twins' when they tell him that they were done.

"Alright, you can head into the living room and pick your couches while I clean up the dishes. Once I'm done I will set you guys up for bedtime," Kenji instructs, his smile fading once the boys are out of sight. A light clicking noise grabs his attention, his head whipping towards the front door when he notices a familiar head of silver hair enter his home.

"Sorry I took so long. An issue came up," Atsuko explains, quickly closing the door behind her. Kenji doesn't fail to notice the tear streaks on her cheeks, a frown overcoming his face.

"We'll talk about it once the kids are put to bed," Kenji complies, turning back to the kitchen when he sees Atsuko nod at him and head towards the living room, wiping at her cheeks and letting a fake smile overcome her face.

Kenji shakes his head, his fists tightening at his sides. He felt helpless in this situation, when all he wanted to do was help his best friend. Sighing deeply, he trails after Atsuko, waiting patiently as she covers her brothers in blankets and kisses their foreheads.

"Atsuko nee-chan, when can we go home?" Arata asks sadly, pulling the blanket around him tighter. Atsuko gives him a reassuring smile, running her fingers through his hands soothingly.

"I'll make sure you guys can go home before I leave, how does that sound?" she suggests softly. Noboru and Arata nod silently, glancing at each other and giggling.

"Alright you two, if you need me I'll be sleeping across from Kenji's room, you can just walk in. Also, don't think that you're off the hook for the little stunt you pulled today... I will discuss it with you tomorrow," Atsuko declares, not batting an eye at the groans the two boys give her.

"Goodnight, nee-chan," Noboru mutters out tiredly, turning on his side to be more comfortable. Atsuko sighs, picking herself up and stretching.

"Goodnight boys. I love you," Atsuko states, following after Kenji as they head to his room. Upon entering, Atsuko slides the door shut behind her quietly, resting her head against the wall with a sigh.

"So I assume things have been stressful since we got home?" Kenji eases, sitting on the bed and watching Atsuko in concern. She chuckles humorlessly, turning around and crossing her arms over her chest.

"You have no idea..."

"I'm all ears if you want to talk," Kenji offers, patting the space beside him as a gesture for her to sit down. Atsuko bites her lip, cautiously sitting down and squeezing her knees, her silver hair shadowed over her face.

My Honor | A Naruto Fanfictionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें