|4|

::

Kenji was worried.

He had put the boys to bed, just as Atsuko had asked, but he hadn't expected her to be out so late. It was almost three in the morning, but she had yet to show from her late night errand. The blond sat slumped in a chair, watching the clock tick by second by second.

Kenji assumed that Atsuko had gone to confront her father, as she had told him earlier in the day, but he wasn't completely sure.

In any case, Kenji doubted it should take six hours to find and talk to the man, unless something had happened.

That was why Kenji told himself that he would go out to try to find her if she wasn't back by three. Much to Kenji's relief, Atsuko came home a mere two minutes before the clock hand hit the hour.

"Atsuko?! Where have you been, it's been six hours!" Kenji whispers in exasperation, quietly padding up to his best friend as to not wake the two sleeping boys in the other room. Atsuko stares at him blankly, her unusually dull eyes painfully dragging themselves to the clock poised on the wall which read three o'clock.

"It took me a while to find him. And after I found him I... needed some time to myself," she mumbled, rubbing her eyes tiredly. Kenji sighs, closing his eyes and shaking his head before pulling Atsuko in for a hug. Her head hits his toned chest with a small thud, the teenage girl closing her eyes and weakly wrapping her arms around Kenji's torso.

This was one thing Atsuko loved about Kenji, the fact that he just knew when she needed support or when she didn't want to talk about something. He was completely respectful of her feelings, no matter how much he wanted to know what was bothering her or how to make her feel better.

"You didn't have to wait for me to get back, Kenji, you must be tired," Atsuko mutters, pulling away from Kenji's arms and glancing into his warm, hazel eyes. He offers her a weak smile, taking her hand in his and squeezing it reassuringly.

"Don't worry about it, I just wanted to make sure you got home safe."

Home.

That word struck a chord in Atsuko's heart, causing her to blink in surprise. She silently trails her eyes over to where Noboru and Arata were sleeping, blissfully peaceful and warm. Hell, they were more at home here than they were at their actual house.

"Home, eh?" she responds, the side of her mouth quirking up in a weak attempt at a smile. Kenji nods, his own smile never leaving his face.

"Home. This house is your home as much as it is mine. The same goes for Noboru and Arata," Kenji assures. Atsuko brings her eyes to Kenji's, practically melting from his gaze. She would be lying if she said she didn't feel safe with the blond.

Yeah, Atsuko felt at home.

::

"Good morning! How was everyone's sleep?" Atsuko chirps, waltzing into the kitchen with a smile fully dressed for the day. Noboru and Arata glance up from their breakfast plates with wide smiles, while Kenji glances at the silver-haired girl from the corner of his eyes whilst cooking some rice and miso soup on the stove.

"Good, Atsuko onee-chan! Kenji-san made us some breakfast!" Noboru says cheerfully, holding his spoon up in the air. Arata giggles while Noboru takes a big bite of rice before looking back at Atsuko with a wide smile.

"Kenji-san told us that you and him had a surprise planned for us today but we had to wait for you to wake up, but now that you're awake you can tell us!" Arata says with a tilt of his head, the two young boys looking at Atsuko excitedly.

Kenji walks over with two bowls in his hands, placing them on the table and gesturing for Atsuko to sit down while he grabs his own breakfast and sits down next to her. Atsuko nods her head to Kenji in thanks before turning back to her brothers with a smile.