↯23

Yerin sat with her body slouched over the table, arms crossed with her head buried in between

The coolness of the table soothed the pulsating sensation of her head and she didn't even want to look at the notes that were scattered around the table.

The café was in silence, except from the brewing of coffee and the almost unheard radio droning on.
Donghyuck had his lips pursed as he began making the said coffee, taking the money from the counter and opening the cash register.

He nodded his head slightly to the music, unaware of the girl who had lifted her head off the table and eyes drifting over to him.
A wave of pain caused Yerin to groan and let her head fall back onto the hard surface with an audible bang.

At the sound, Donghyuck flinched slightly when it sounded through the silent room.  His eyes drew over to the girl who sat unmoving on the table, her school notes scattered on the table and her bag layed unorganised next to her.

A phone ringing bought Yerin out of her depressive state, she lifted her head and fumbled in her coat pocket, retrieving her phone.
Her eyes scanned the ID and she noticeably sighed and composed herself.

"Hello, this is the DNYL hotline- how may I help you?" Her tone was much more sweet and lively- it was fake.
But it was her job.

Even if she was off shift, she always made time for people and she truly cared about their feelings.
Donghyuck couldn't help but overhear- it's not like it's his fault the café was empty.

She actually had pretty good advice, not that he would ever tell her that.
He finished making the drink and began to bring it over just as she clicked off the call.
The awkward silence hung over them once he placed the cup down.

"Thanks." She said, resting her chin in her palm as her eyes downcasted on her work- trying to make sense of it.
He didn't say anything more, he only walked away and began to clean the counter.

Yerin groaned in frustration at her work and ran a hand over her face, tangling her fingers in her hair and pulling it and then dropping her head on the table with another bang.

"You're going to end up with a concussion" Donghyuck spoke, rather than his normal mean and snarky self, his voice was more calmer

"Good." She grumbled bitterly.
His eyes flickered to the clock, realising it was nearing 11pm.
Instead of ushering her out just yet, he silently allowed her to do some of her work as she sipped on her coffee.

Donghyuck walked around the Café, placing the chairs on top of the tables after wiping them down.
"How long have you worked here?" Yerin broke the impending silence and Donghyuck's eyes fell to hers.

"A year." He answered and Yerin nodded, raking a hand through her hair then tucking it behind her ear.
"Do you not work with anyone else?"
"I do..." He began, placing another chair on top of a table.
"I took the night shift- not many people come in." He stated, walking back over to the back of the Café.
Yerin watched as he left, slightly confused at his less mean demeanor.