SIXTEEN

SIXTEEN

Match.

His words echoed through her brain. She hadn't had time to process the information.

Since Sebastian had started kissing Madeline, he couldn't seem to stop himself. His mouth found hers repeatedly, his hands holding her face so steady as if she might run away if he let go. Madeline giggled, shaking him off and forcing eye contact that wasn't possible being connected at the mouth. He looked amused but there was a wild light in his stare.

"I'm your match? What does that..." he kissed her again. Her body reacted immediately, fire up and down her arms. She clung to his elbows, the gentle thrum of a moan sliding down her throat. Sebastian was so beautiful and he tasted like the sweetest of things. She couldn't really believe what was happening. She had always been so obsessed with Nolan that she hadn't considered someone else. Kissing Sebastian... well, he was a solar eclipse. There was no one else after him.

"Seb," Madeline laughed. She needed a second to gather her wits. She was drunk on his mouth, her head was light and there was a hint of a dizzy spell tickling the back of her skull. Sebastian smiled against her lips. He was happy. Madeline could feel the positive energy rolling off him in honey waves.

"I'm sorry," he ran his thumb across her swollen mouth. "Not really. No, I'm not sorry. I've been waiting to do this for so long." He was still holding her. Madeline wondered if his words were actually meant for her or if he was speaking his private thoughts out loud.

"Was it what you expected?" Madeline asked. She was breathing heavy, her voice came out in a whisper. Sebastian's eyes shot from her mouth to her questioning eyes. He smiled, his thumbs stroking the heated blush of her cheeks.

"Well worth the wait," he kissed her forehead, her nose, and her lips. He groaned, shaking his head. "How was it for you?" He kissed her before she could answer, his tongue sweeping inside her open mouth. She was completely dizzy then.

"Sorry," he stopped once again. "Sorry. Sorry. How was it for you?" Madeline blinked away the heady fog that clouded her normally logical brain. She nodded at his question as if that was answer enough. Maybe it was. She was also smiling like a drunken lunatic. Sebastian laughed, the most precious laugh that there ever was. He was always looking at her like he adored her.

"My match?" Madeline's question was short and primitive. She moved back, trying to get away from the addictive smell of Sebastian's breath. He allowed her movement, letting his hands fall from her jaw to the shaking palms of her hands.

"Yeah we were made for one another," Seb studied her face carefully.

"How? How do you even know that?" She was waking once again. Her brain was clearing, his words made less and less sense in her sober state. She tried to ignore the way his thumb ran over her knuckles. He was always touching her. When had it become so constant? She hadn't meant to stare at where their hands connected. She only stopped when Sebastian tugged her closer, his arms looped loosely at her shoulders.

"I know that because of a thousand things," Sebastian explained. "For one thing, I remember you. I shouldn't be able to." Madeline asked what he meant. Do all the children of Avlis spend time with mortal children just to forget the relationship altogether? "We remember where we went and that we were friends but as soon as we go back to Avlis we are supposed to forget the details. It would be too painful otherwise. Especially since most kids get multiple friends over the years. I had one friend before you."

"Who was it?" Madeline asked.

"That's what I'm saying, Madsy. I don't remember," Sebastian shrugged. "I know she was a girl and I know that she was sick but my memories don't go past that. I can't even remember her name. I never didn't know you, Madsy. I've always remembered every detail of our time together. I've thrived off it in the last few years. The thought of getting back to you kept me moving. The thought of your mouth kept me searching. You are all I ever thought about."