THIRTY

THIRTY

Madeline Hunter held her breath, counting her heartbeats as they pulsed against her ears. She had been asked to babysit for Ethan after Maggie received a rather mysterious phone call and she had agreed. It had been a while since she spent some time with Ethan. She felt guilty, what with Sebastian monopolizing her time. Even when Nolan was around he didn't take up as much space as her new-old friend did, his personality alone filled up an entire room.

Sebastian had tagged along behind her, his bright purple eyes shone with something she couldn't quite read. They had kissed earlier, they had almost done so much more. Madeline could remember the sound of his breathing, the feel of his tongue as it swept against hers. She had tried her best to shake off the memory of his fingertips and focus on the other aspects of her life.

Sebastian hadn't been the first to suggest a game, Ethan had but the invisible male had agreed almost too quickly. Madeline hadn't realized what was going on at first, her mind cloudy with memories and what-ifs. She had literally squeaked when Sebastian scooped her up and threw her over his shoulder.

"Oh no," she gasped. "Put me down. Jesus," she screamed when he gave her bottom a hearty pop. Ethan was already running ahead of them, through the kitchen and out the door into their fenced-in backyard.

"Sebastian please," Madeline felt the blood pooling at the top of her skull with every step he took.

"I love it when you beg," he teased. He pulled up and let her slide down to the dewy grass, his body was still so close. She moved away quickly, face flushed from the ride out and the fact that he was so irritatingly beautiful.

"What are we doing out here?" Her feet were bare and the grass was cool against her soles. She crossed her arms over her chest, glancing back and forth between the two males.

"Tell her," Ethan squealed. He jumped up, throwing his tiny fists high in the air.

"We are going to head over and visit the queen of the jungle," Sebastian smiled.

Madeline's eyebrows raised. She wasn't sure there was such a thing. There probably wasn't. She nodded, watching her ecstatic cousin bounce excitedly, the heels of his shoes flashing with blue light against the earth.

"Which jungle?" Madeline asked.

"Up to you, Madsy." Sebastian smirked sweetly. "This is going to be ran by you."

"Yeah!" Ethan giggled, pushing those tiny glasses up his nose. "Sebastian said you could bring us there this time."

"Oh- I don't know..."

"You can do it," Seb nodded. "Close your eyes and tell us what you see."

Madeline blew out a heavy breath of air. She felt pressure but obeyed him, his voice hypnotic. Ethan followed suit, covering his eyes with his tiny palms.

"Go ahead, Madsy."

The air was hot, heavy. Madeline told them about the thickness of their breaths. She could feel her hair curl around her ears and stick to her neck. She told them to listen, there were sounds, shrieks from monkeys, a distant growl of a jungle cat. They all opened their eyes. The scene layout in front of them, real enough to touch. Madeline gulped, watching the lush plant life that spilled out over the ground in heavy sheets of green. There were flowers, huge open flowers that twisted around the tree bases.

"You did it," Ethan gasped. "Oh my gosh!" He took off running through a small worn path, Rosie materializing beside him, joining his hurried steps. Madeline didn't try to stop him, she let him run off with his friend and for a moment she remembered that exact jungle from years before.