THIRTY-EIGHT

THIRTY-EIGHT

Lucian had made it very clear he was apathetic about his unexpected guest. He left her alone for less than five minutes, his jaw clenching only slightly when he reappeared in the foyer and realized she hadn't moved an inch. He nodded toward a set of steep stairs disappearing into the second floor.

"So you've talked to Sebastian?" Madeline asked him timidly. She was still wearing that heavy black cloak. It dragged the ground as she walked so she paid special attention not to trip over the hem.

"He sent a message," Lucian grunted. They walked up at least thirty steps before he led her down a dark hall with a dozen or so closed doors.

"Did he say he had some idea how-" Madeline didn't finish her question because Lucian stopped in front of a dull green door with a brass knob.

"No," Lucian responded. "This is your room. Dinner is in two hours. I'm not coming to get you so be downstairs or go hungry. I don't care."

Madeline tried to hide the shock from her face as Lucian walked purposely down the same stairs they'd just come up. She swallowed hard, shaking away the unpleasant sort of feelings he gave her and pushed open the door he'd left her at.

The room was dark. There was a pile of half-burned candles stuck to a metal tray near a bed covered in a ratty blanket. Madeline found some matches and lit the only light source she had. She tried to open the curtains but the windows were boarded up from the outside. She walked over to a table covered in books. They were all well-loved and stacked in dangerous towers against the wall. Madeline studied those walls. They had been covered in a floral paper once, dark red roses were just barely visible through the tears and water damage. She let the cloak fall off her shoulders. Stepping out of it she walked over to the bed and carefully sat down. A decent-sized puff of dust erupted from the mattress. She fanned the grime away from her face and pulled open a small table nearest the bed.

There were sketches, twenty or more all thrown inside the tiny drawer. She pulled them out, studying them the best she could with her limited light. She was startled slightly at the images. They were of her, her eyes, her lips, close up versions of her waves falling against her neck.

She hadn't realized where she was. She was in Sebastian's room.

The thought was thrilling and exhausting all at once. She felt comfort in his belongings in his ghost. But there was an even more distinct feeling of pain that rushed through her chest like a hot knife. She had sent him there to live in a broken-down mansion with a rude uncaring roommate. She had been responsible for ten years of absolute torture. She stood up quickly, her heart hammering against her ribs. How could she live with herself?

<><><>

Sebastian paced. He had arrived early to the Elders Hall. There was a supreme quiet followed by the squeaks of his shoes against the marble flooring. There was nothing he could do without them, as much as he hated to admit it. Ezra bounced on the balls of her feet, a nervous tick she'd picked up as a girl. She had advised him to wait but he had ignored her suggestions and left without another word.

"What are you going to tell them?" She asked him. The hall was filled with bright light. The sun was still shining, something that seemed completely ridiculous. He'd half assumed the city of Avlis would wake up to a thousand tornados ravaging their precious heaven.

"I'm going to tell them that I have to get over there. No matter what. I have to get her out."

"Seb," Ezra sighed.

"Stop trying to change my mind. I stayed for ten years in that place. Ten years," he mumbled. "Madeline is not meant for that. She shouldn't even be allowed to hear about it. I didn't even really talk about it and now she's over there blind."