Chapter Fourteen: Home

When they finally arrived, Rosie saw her home, she remembered the places her and peter had gone that summer, the summer they met. It was oddly strange being back here the few stores and cafes and restaurants they had were still there, in fact the newest thing they had was a refurbished post office.

'I want to go to the house first, we can put our stuff in and I can go see Abel, then mum' 'sure, whatever you want to do' Peter hummed on the thought, this is where they met, it felt like a home away from home, for years he'd begged his mother to return, she wouldn't budge. Settling a divorce takes up any vacation time they would have had, Peters radio screen bused, the blue tooth coming in handy, 'hello Killian, is mum bullying you again?' 'I want to live with you and Caden, I hate it here, Candice is just as bad, your the only good one, come and get me Pete, please' Peter exhaled, 'I can't, mum and dad have shared custody I can't get around it, but I promise you, I'll do everything I can to help' Killian made a grumbling noise, 'are you going to introduce me to your girl at some point? I love that mum disapproves but you go with her anyway' Peter cursed under his breath, 'yeah next time we've in Cambridge, I'll pick you up, you can stay with Caden and I when we get our apartment' 'Yes!' 'I have to go I'm pulling up, bye Killian' 'bye Pete' with a click that was the end of it, 'sorry about him, like I said, acts out' 'he idolises you, Peter he loves you, I wish I had that, all I have is an ass of a brother' Peter snorted 'trust me you don't, have you met Candice? Actually she and your brother would be perfect for each other' Rosie laughed at this, it was more or less true.

As they pulled into the drive way, Rosie hoped to see Abel, but he wasn't there. Her eyes saddened, stung by tears she was holding in, maybe he really did resent her for leaving. She hadn't heard from him, he hadn't responded to texts or calls, she felt oddly alone. She looked at her phone, nothing, she exhaled "maybe we shouldn't bother with Abel" "Rosie?" "He doesn't want to see me, he's made that quite clear" "your here, he doesn't have a choice" "Peter." It was the first time he'd ever seen Rosie almost angry, she undid her seat belt and opened her door, then she left, as the door shut Peters shocked expression disappeared, instead concern was spread across his face.

Scrolling through his phone, Peter stopped on Abel's contact, he waited for him to answer, "Hey City boy, miss me?" "Abel." "What's wrong? Is Rosie okay?" Peter heard the concern in his voice, "she would be, if her best friend didn't disappear, she's a mess, she came home to see you, and her mum, she needs you, she needs her best friend" "you don't understand" "I understand that your a coward" "your one to talk! I'm too scared to tell Rosie I love her because of my mum even though I'm an Adult and can make my own decisions!" "That is none of your business. You've crossed a line, you know nothing about me. The one thing I have on you, is I care about Rosie, unconditionally" "do you have any idea how hypocritical you sound right now?", there was silence, then something changed in Peter.

"At least I'm still here" with a click the call was at an end, Peter stared at Rosie, she was busy writing in her journal, she'd never let him look inside, right now she looked so transfixed on whatever subject it was she was writing about, Peter wondered if it was about able, he then felt a familiar twitch of jealousy, one he recognised, it was the same as when he first met Abel and thought he and Rosie were dating, why throw her away after all these years, in no world could he imagine anyone throwing away Rosalyn Thomas.