Chapter Five: The Nakmar

Had William really seen that girl? The question beset him as he and Felix entered the woods. Indeed, they had not seemed natural to her. Such thoughts departed soon, though. They were in a hurry to escape the smoke rising behind them with all due haste. Memories of her beauty were on him, but he was more concerned about the green trees around them. More importantly, how they seemed to grasp for them.

Once or twice, he saw torches in the distance and howls of rage from the satyrs.

The landscape changed, however, as they got further out. There was no stumbling over roots or ducking below clawing tree limbs now. Instead, they moved with astonishing speed. William felt almost as though he was a wind passing through the trees. His feet didn't seem to touch the ground once. His pains and aches, he realized, were gone. When he looked at his hands, the cuts had disappeared. It was a minor miracle in a day filled with them.

He looked at Felix as they moved. "Felix, remind me to erect a shrine to Kiyora when we return home."

"Why?" asked Felix.

"Isn't it obvious?" asked William. "She is some spirit or deity. I have to repay the debt, even if Elranor was the one who sent her." And he wouldn't mind looking at her again.

"All right," said Felix, "I won't let you forget."

They came out of the trees and found themselves on the bank of a river. The same river William had seen on many maps but had yet to honestly know how large it was. It stretched a considerable distance across. He knew at once that crossing it would be a challenging feat.

Yet size didn't matter much to him as he and Felix went down to the banks and drank. The water was heavenly on William's lips, and he thought nothing would ever be as good. When their thirst had been quenched, they immersed themselves in the shallows. They washed the dirt and grime that had covered them from their bodies.

Finally, they waded out, dripping wet. William felt very foolish as he tried to get some of it out of his hair. Felix did not even bother, his red eyes peering carefully at the water. "We should keep moving, Felix; the satyrs will come after us sooner or later."

"Which way?" asked Felix.

"This river is called Savior's Run," said William. "I'm not sure why it is named so, some local legend, I think. It runs through the center of Seathorius. Then it heads through the elven reservations and Antion into the Ghost Mountains. If we follow it north, we should be able to find the shore. From there, we might create another campfire and hope for rescue."

"Or wait to be recaptured," said Felix. "What are our other options?"

William considered the question. "Kiyora said there are dwarven settlements along the other side of the river. If they aren't friends of the satyrs, we might find shelter with them. Provided we can find a crossing place, of course."

"So we can head north and hope to find the shore and a crossing," said Felix. "Which way is north?"

William looked around silently. "I have no idea."

"Fine," said Felix, "pick left or right, and we'll go that way."

"Right," said William before beginning to walk.

Their going along the river was easier than before. It's too easy for William's liking, actually. The once hostile lands now seemed to conspire to aid them. He felt like some power was flowing through him and Felix, driving them on to swift progress. He began to suspect that it had much to do with Kiyora.

They came to a place where the water was far lower so that they could see the stones of the riverbed. On the far side of the river was a watchtower. It was built in front of a hill with an exposed rock side. A dwarf was perched on it, holding a bow and scanning the surrounding area. A dwarf boy was sitting at the tower's base, and he looked up with interest. As they approached, the archer notched an arrow.