Chapter Eleven: Baltoth's Retribution

It dawned on William over the next few days that he had yet to learn where he was headed. The land shifted all the time. Even when he backtracked, he always seemed to end up somewhere different. He was walking on a path out of his control and could not get off it. Instead, he could only follow or stay where he was. The air was musty and stale in this place, and they found it had to be purified by one of Rusara's spells.

At night, insects and worse things bothered them, and by day, they walked in darkness.

He didn't like the feeling. It was like he had no control over his destiny. As though he were a puppet to be manipulated by the hands of figures beyond his comprehension. At night, he played music for the chimera, and he would always wake to find it watching over him in the morning. The land around them became darker. The clouds clustered overhead as the wood became more dreary and horrible. The weather became ever grayer and colder.

Then, one day, it started raining. It poured down on them in torrents, and they sheltered beneath the trees as best they could. Finally, the chimera got close to curl up against him, shielding him from the wind. William looked up.

"Thank you," He was not sure how to continue. "You know, I'm not sure what to call you. I mean, I can't just call you Chimera."

"Bah," said the chimera's goat head.

"I think I should give you a name," said William. "Unless you already have one."

The dragon's head turned to him and gave him a strange look. He had no idea what it meant, and William remained silent. Can I give you a name? Something to call you until I can learn your real one."

The chimera did not answer. William supposed expecting one was somewhat foolish. It was, after all, an animal at heart. He sighed. "I suppose I'll call you... uh... I have no idea what to call you. None whatsoever." He looked around. "What do you think of Dark Heart?"

There was that look again.

"Look, I can't think of anything, okay," said William. "And it's not as if it matters. It's only until... oh, never mind. Octavian? That's a Sornian name, so it is pretty exotic."

The look continued.

William sighed. "What about Massacre?"

The chimera seemed to consider that. Its dragon head nodded.

"Right then, Massacre," said William. "The rain is slacking off a bit, so we should keep moving to... wherever it is, we're going. I hope we get there soon because I'm almost out of supplies."

Massacre and William began to make their way onward. The ground became rougher, and strange voices appeared as they made their way forward. During the day, little light penetrated through the treetops. During the night, it was pitch black. The ground became stony and rough. William often tripped as he went onward and became very sick of it all. The days blurred together, and he longed for a warm bed and rest.

He doubted now that he had any hope of finding Felix. Seathorius itself was conspiring to see them separated. Yet, to what end? What purpose was served by all this?

Then, they came out of the darkness. In front of William and Massacre, they found pleasant green lands. Around it was rolling hills and beautiful trees with white bark and golden leaves. Flowers were blooming at their base, and birds were singing. The contrast was so sudden that William could hardly believe his eyes.

Then he saw the castle. It was a truly majestic sight, standing on a proud hilltop. Seven pure white towers rose out of its new walls. They loomed overhead, and an eighth grew out of the keep itself, the tallest spires. A golden spike emerged from the top of its domed roof. It was magnificent. Here before him seemed a beautiful and strong fortress. One might expect a noble king to dwell here.