Chapter Thirteen: Awakening

William felt warm and safe. The agony of his wounds was gone, and he was resting on what he thought was soft turf. Opening his eyes, William realized he was lying in a field of just that. He could see other people, though they were blurry and not fully there. Alternatively, he was not fully there, and they were real.

Then he saw him.

There were no words to describe the majesty before him. He saw an image of the valor of knights throughout the universe. The closest he could come to a description was that of a man clad in armor with skin and hair as white as snow. Yet it was not unhealthy; he seemed the source of health in many ways.

"You've been busy, William," said Elranor.

William arose and bent to one knee in fealty. He drew his sword and offered it to Elranor, though he wondered where the sword had come from. He'd lost it, hadn't he? "Lord Elranor, forgive me, please."

"If it is events on the boat that troubles you, then you need not fear my wrath," said Elranor. "Fear is natural when one faces their first battle, and you are not ready. Even so, you have performed admirably, and things have progressed, for the most part, as I had hoped."

"What do you mean?" asked William, confused.

"The demoness you faced was poised to gain control over Seathorius," said Elranor. "And had she gone unopposed, she would have succeeded. However, Kiyora has, for years, prevented her from gaining total victory. With Baltoth's Retribution destroyed, her power is greatly diminished."

"Yet why did the castle collapse?" asked William.

"To use the castle's power, the demoness was forced to pour much of her strength into it," said Elranor. "They were one. When she was wounded, so was the castle. With her defeat, the castle was laid to waste. And yet, even her triumph now serves our purposes.

"For the Mirror of Laevian drove Melchious mad, and it will be long before he can act against us."

"But the demoness," said William, "she looked into the mirror and... she wasn't affected as much, was she?"

"That," said Elranor, "is a bit complicated. You see, when Melchious looked into the Mirror of Laevian, he was looking through your eyes. You might have been formed from sin, but you are a good person overall. So much as anyone is good.

"Your kindness, courage, and compassion multiplied the effects of the Mirror of Laevian. They reawakened parts of him he has long since forgotten."

"What do you mean?" asked William.

"Melchious was mortal once," said Elranor. "He has fallen far since then and become a demon. Yet some elements of his old self remain. The demoness, on the other hand, is a purebred demon. Her existence is... simpler in nature."

"I feel sorry for her." realized William.

"Because she never had a choice?" guessed Elranor.

"Yes," admitted William. "I mean... I don't know."

"Put it from your mind for now, William," said Elranor. "We have other business to speak of. Once you offered me your service? Do you still hold to that vow?"

"Yes, of course, Lord Elranor!" said William, feeling enthusiastic. "I mean, my father will be very disappointed, and my mother will be furious, but-"

"Calm yourself," laughed Elranor. "I will not be asking for anything inconvenient just yet. You have served me well in your own fashion already. But, even so, I do not have in mind the priesthood for you."

"Then what?" asked William.

"I want you to become one of my paladins," said Elranor.

"Me?" asked William, hardly believing his ears. "A paladin?"