Chapter Fifteen: The Book

They found an area secluded from the wind with a clear view of the stars. There, they sat down to rest. Kiyora spoke with the trees around while William set down his bedroll. Massacre was looking at him pointedly. William sighed before drawing out the harp and almost beginning to play. Then he stopped.

"Massacre," he said, "if I play this music, it might draw the creature to us."

"Oh, don't worry about it." said Kiyora, "You can't get so caught up in these things."

"Have you been paying attention?" asked William.

"It was a nightmare," said Kiyora, "it happens sometimes. The best thing is to forget them."

With a sigh, William began to play the harp. The melody resounded through the trees, and he found his frayed nerves calming at the sound of it. Massacre, too, seemed to be relaxing, and Kiyora sat down to listen. He played and played until he was tired of it, and then he stopped. By then, Massacre was sleeping.

"You have a lot of talent with that," said Kiyora.

"It's the harp," said William. "The worst musician in the world could make beautiful music with this. Though Rusara taught me how to play."

"I'm terrible with musical instruments," said Kiyora. "When I was a little kid, I wanted to join the school band, but I was so bad they kicked me out."

"About this school, you keep referring to," said William. "Is it like those in Magicora?"

"Magicora?" asked Kiyora. "What's that?"

"It is a city far from here where many wielders of magic study together," said William. "I don't really know much about them. They teach people to commune with spirits and have a wealth of knowledge about the world beyond. Rusara studied there, actually.

"Father has been trying for years to get some of their texts for our library back home, but he hasn't managed it yet."

"Well, we don't get taught magic if that's what you mean," said Kiyora. "Nothing so interesting. No, we learn normal stuff. Mathematics, literature, history, homemaking, martial arts, that sort of thing."

"Oh, so it's academic," said William. "They have such places in Calisha, or so I am told. And also on the elvish reservations."

"Elvish reservations?" asked Kiyora, an edge in her tone. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Um..." William tried to think of a way to say things tactfully. "A long time ago, the elves were the supreme rulers of the world. They didn't really regard those they called lesser races as people. So they tried to exterminate us. But Elranor came and organized us with aid from the dragons Smyngoth and Vrengar. They gave us a fighting chance.

"Then our greatest king, Anoa the Bright, came to power. He rallied all the races together and conquered the whole of Harlenor. The wars were bloody; both races were waging wars of extermination against each other. But there were many more of us, so the elves were overwhelmed.

"Eventually, Elranor brooked a treaty with Alchara, the goddess of the elves. He gave them the whole of Seathorius. But they were weak after the wars. So, the Dust Elves stole a large part of the territory from them. They were the ones who built Baltoth's Retribution. Meanwhile, Anoa founded Harlenor. He and his heirs expanded it throughout their lifetimes."

"And I subconsciously desire to exterminate my species." reflected Kiyora. "Weird. So you're from this Harlenor place, then?"

"How can you not know all this?" asked William.

"I'm not really big on history, even in the real world," said Kiyora with a shrug.

"Well-" William began. Then suddenly, he stood up, feeling a familiar presence approaching. He was here.