Chapter Fourteen: In a Sunlit Wood

As days passed, William found their rations were beginning to run short. Massacre was kept well-fed by a steady diet of anything that grew, but he had to share his food with Kiyora. The day's heat became unbearable beneath the trees. Their mouths were often parched. He hoped Felix was doing better than he was. Maybe he had reached the dwarves and found the help of one kind or another.

Though if any help was coming, it seemed likely by this point that they were heading away from it. The thought was not comforting, and William tried to pay attention to anything else. Kiyora's hair seemed to stay dry and matted. His hair would have to be washed when all this was over, but hers was fine.

Oh, and his eye was still hurting. The pain of it kept flaring up, and William became increasingly anxious to find a mirror so he could see how bad it was. He only hoped there was a healer who could fix it.

Finally, he was distracted from all this when they came out of the underbrush. They found themselves in a tranquil wood, with sunlight shimmering through the trees. Not a bird was chirping. The colors around them were very vibrant, but William could not see any animals around.

"This place..." said William, "does it seem dead to you?"

Massacre hissed with its dragon head.

"Massacre says you worry too much," said Kiyora.

"And you don't worry enough," said William. "How can you remain so detached?"

"It's just a dream," she said with a shrug.

William didn't even bother responding to that one. As they made their way, they came onto a path, and following it, they found a carriage. Its front wheels were in pieces, and no ox was attached. Then, a little further on, they saw a manor. It looked like a pleasant place. It had glass windows and white curtains, designed with many images.

"Do you want to see if anyone is home?" asked Kiyora.

"I..." William paused, thinking. "Yes, though we should be on our guard. Massacre, Kiyora, stay here and wait for me."

"I'm going as well," said Kiyora. "This looks interesting. And Massacre should come too."

"I don't want to startle the residents," said William. "Anyway, Massacre wouldn't fit through the door."

"Fine," said Kiyora. "Massacre, could you stay here awhile."

Massacre seemed to be grumbling as she lay down on her haunches. She lay her lion and dragon heads down on the ground while her goat head began to munch on a bush. William reflected that they were actually in far more danger than Massacre. Two teenagers would be a far more attractive target than an illusion.

As they approached the door, which was painted black, William saw that it was ajar. There was an eerie feeling about the whole thing. William kept glancing at the windows. He half expected to see something evil looking down on them. Yet there was nothing, and soon they stood before the door. Kiyora shifted uneasily.

William reached forward and knocked. There was no answer. He hit again, and still, no one came. Finally, he put one hand on the door and pushed it open. Within was a great entry hall illuminated only by light shooting through the windows. There was a set of stairs leading up to the upper floor. On either side were doors.

"Which way?" asked Kiyora.

William tried to conceal the fear he felt. This place was strange, and he was tempted to turn and head back. Yet simultaneously, he was curious to see what or who lived here. What was a place like this doing out in the middle of Seathorius?

"Let's try one of the side rooms," he said. "Left for a start."

They went left and found the door closed but unlocked. Opening it, they went through and found themselves in the midst of what appeared to be a dining room. There was a long table set with decorative plates. It was as though the house's owner was awaiting some magnificent feast. The seats had silk cushions. The delicate curtains by the windows let in only small beams of light.