Chapter Eighteen: Reascension

The following morning, William stood on the fort's walls, thinking to himself. He thought about many things: the beginning of his journey, the satyrs, the meeting of Massacre. Then there was the demoness, and he wondered what had happened to her.

She had been a worthy opponent.

The wind blew through his hair, cooling him in the day's heat. He reflected that things did not look nearly as rosy as last night. A vast forest of trees had come out of Seathorius and surrounded the fort on every side. They were cut off from the rest of Artarq. The trees swayed in the wind, and their movements seemed laced with threat. "What in Elranor's name happened?" asked Sarris. "Why would the forest move?"

"Seathorius shifts all the time," said William. "We've had a lot of experience with it."

"Yes," said Sarris, "but I thought such shifts were limited within the borders. How could the whole forest's eaves have moved overnight?"

"These trees aren't from the eaves," said William. "They are far too tall and twisted. I saw these further south, in Melchious' domain."

"Do you believe these trees have something to do with the satyrs?" asked Sarris.

"They might," said William. "And I have an idea of how we might find out." He looked to Kiyora. "Kiyora, could you make contact with these trees."

"Sure," she said, "open the gates and let me walk up to one."

"I... don't think that is wise, Your Grace," said Sarris, and then he paused and looked to William. "Is 'Your Grace' the proper way to refer to a deity?"

"Just call me Kiyora," said Kiyora. "There isn't any other word that describes me. But why can't I approach them?"

"Look at those trees, Kiyora," said William. "Do they look friendly?"

"Well, they seem to have claw-like branches," said Kiyora, "and they seem threatening. But you shouldn't judge a person by their appearance. Same for trees."

"If they were friendly, I doubt they should have surrounded us like this. None of us should go out there until we know a good deal more," said Sarris. "I've already sent word to Arsheen in any case."

"How could you get a message to the capital?" asked William. "Those trees move. The messenger might never get there."

"Duke Vanion foresaw such a possibility," said Sarris. "Or at least that we might be surrounded. Every fort has a crystal ball that allows one to contact the Duke. A new form of communication, he had Rusara design."

"I know," said William. "It was designed from an artifact he brought back from his journeys to other worlds. Although Rusara and Raynald never speak of it, I was never allowed to touch the one in Carn Gable."

"I expect his army is on its way, whatever the means," said Sarris.

"We'll be better off with a team of loggers than an army," said William. "Swords aren't good for much against trees. Unless they're magical, I suppose."

"Oh, come on, we can't just cut them down. Not without knowing what they are doing here," said Kiyora. "Who knows? They might have a good reason for being here."

"They might have had a good reason for helping the satyrs catch Felix and me," said William. "I find neither likely. I don't mean to give them the benefit of the doubt."

"Let me talk to them," said Kiyora. "Oh sure," said Felix, "we'll set up a white flag of parley, and I'm sure we can speak with their general."

"Felix is right," said William. "Can't you talk to them from here?"