Chapter Ten: The Taming of Beasts

Melchious.

A name he had heard horror stories about all his life. A name people dared not utter in some places for fear it might attract his attention. A creature his father had long ago cheated beneath the misty trees of Brisgald. And now he had a personal interest in William. The Lord of Torment had a personal interest in him.

There were some fates worse than death. This was one of them.

"Felix," said William, "run. Get word to my father."

"But-" began Felix.

"Go!" William shouted.

"Oh, I'm afraid that everyone not on the guest list is to be quite dead." said the demoness. "Kill the-"

William threw his pack at one of the satyrs, ignoring the weight of it. It hit the creature right in the chest and sent it sprawling onto the ground. Drawing his sword, he rushed forward and laid about him with his sword. He felt a jerk in his hand as he broke a satyr's spear and cut the creature across the leg. It fell back, screaming, and he moved to finish it. Then, he was struck from behind and fell forward onto the ground.

Rolling over, he swung his sword wildly as he stood up, the satyrs around him. He warded them off for a moment before his hand was forced down. The blade was wrestled from his grasp. One of the creatures raised a knife to finish him.

Yet Doltier grabbed the creature by the hand and said something on their tongue. He reminded them that Melchious wanted William alive, which was even worse.

"My, you aren't one to go gently, are you?" asked the demoness. "No matter, now for the other?" She looked around. "Where did he go? He was here a moment ago, yet now I can't sense him."

Felix had slipped away. He was nowhere to be found. William felt a sense of relief as he was hauled to his feet, and his hands were bound. The satyrs were tending to their warriors' wounds with some magic. Others were looking for the pack and marveling at the jewels they found within. Finally, Doltier said something, and they put the gold and gems back in before he took up the pack.

"Doltier is the ring-giver of this band," said the demoness. "He awards the spoils of their victory as he deems fit, and they follow him."

Then Doltier punched William in the gut. William doubled over, gasping for air, his whole body shaking with the effect. He fell to his knees but forced himself back up. He did his best to look defiant, and it seemed to be noticed.

"I suppose you think you've been courageous, don't you?" mused the demoness.

William considered how best to reply. Finally, he decided on a simple fact. "I have been."

"Oh, do shut up." said the demoness, "Doltier, don't bother pursuing the other. There is no help for miles. The gold is yours, of course, but that harp... That harp is mine."

Doltier said something.

"Oh?" asked the demoness. "I report to Melchious. That harp is of a special kind, and I will have it. You wouldn't be able to make any use of it anyway."

Doltier drew the harp out and passed it to the demoness, who took it into the shadows. She seemed to covet it, though it was challenging to say how William could tell. Something about the way the shadows shifted.

Then she kneeled where William's sword lay covered in blood. The shadows surrounded the blade and spun it around in a flourish.

"Hmm," she said, "I think I'll take this as a trophy as well."

Doltier did not seem at all upset by this. Instead, he said something contemptuously and walked away, motioning to the other satyrs. Soon, the whole group began to move again.