Something Unexpected

Saturday afternoon saw me and Roxy wandering around the market. Everly tucked up in her pram, sleeping soundly whilst we stopped at various stands, sampling the food and having a look at the tempting displays.

"Oh my god, you have to try this." Roxy sighed, taking another sample of some kind of meat skewer.

I reached over, plucking another cocktail stick from the little cup and pulling it from the skewer, the flavour exploding onto my tongue.

"Damn that's good."

The man behind the counter smiled in gratitude, continuing to serve up more skewers.

We moved along, venturing into the spice stall and making some other purchases. I loved these little moments with Rox and Everly. Even though things had changed since she became a mother, there was no drift between us. Sure the clubbing nights had gone down a fair few, but it wasn't an issue. Seeing how happy she was with Sean was worth it, and we still had our fun whenever we were together. Just in different ways, and I adored spending time with the littlun. Nothing made me smile more than seeing that little face light up, and hearing that giggle.

"When's Sean getting here?" I asked, wandering towards the chocolate stall and picking up the samples basket.

Roxy glanced down at her watch, flicking her hair back from her face as she checked the time.

"Anytime now. He had to stop at the office and pick up some paperwork."

I bit into a dark chocolate truffle, a rich, velvety caramel drizzled from the center and coated my tongue. I let out a small satisfied moan and sucked the chocolate from my fingers, glancing over to the pram as Everly awoke with a small grisling sound that grew to a loud cry.

"Shh, shhh, shhh." Roxy cooed, tucking her hair behind her ear, and bending down, scooping Ev into her arms and clutching her to her chest. "It's okay baby, Momma's here."

She made a soft bouncing motion, shuffling her weight from foot to foot in an attempt to calm her daughter down.

"Oh dear, is someone giving Mommy a hard time?" A voice sounded from behind me.

Sean stepped up, clapping his hand on my shoulder with a nod and reaching his wife and daughter. He kissed Roxy on the lips before pressing a gentle kiss to Everly's head, and rubbing her back. She seemed to calm with both of them. Whilst they chatted behind me, I continued to peruse the chocolate stand. I'd always had a sweet tooth, so this was like paradise to me. I continued to enjoy the various samples, and gathered a collection in my arms, ready to checkout.

"Just how much chocolate are you getting Ev?" Roxy laughed, picking up a box of milk truffles.

"I need it all, but I'll settle for just..." I reached out adding another block of honeycomb to my stack, "This."

"Never knew you were a girl Ev." Sean's teasing voice rumbled in my ear.

"No idea what you mean." I shrugged.

"Well, stockpiling sugar, isn't that what girls do to cure heartbreak. Are you heartbroken?" His adopted tone of mock sincerity was cut off by Roxy elbowing him in the ribs and shaking her head with a laugh.

"Ow!"

"That was for the girl comment. We aren't all chocoholics."

He smirked at her and a mischievous glint in his eye preceded his next words.

"Of course, some of you are addicted to doughnuts instead."

"He's got you there Rox." I laughed, allowing the woman who ran the stall, to take and bag up the order.