Comfort

The remainder of my forced time off, passed uneventfully. I moved back home two days after the night that Kat stopped by, much to the displeasure of Roxy, who tried to insist on holding me hostage until the day I was medically cleared to go back to normal. Which, finally happened eleven days after the accident. With my other injuries recovered, and a clean bill of health, I returned to work as normal.

The entirety of my first day back was spent practically chained to my desk, catching up on a mountain of work that I'd missed. Jamie had thankfully made a big dent in the newest pile, but there was still more than enough to occupy me until late that evening. I finally finished the last file, and locked it in my desk, just after eight thirty. Exhausted and bored out of my mind, I yawned and began to close down my computer then left the office.

Being back home was a strange relief, especially as I'd been climbing the walls the last few days, wanting to get back to work, back to my life. Fetching a drink from the kitchen, I threw my jacket over the back of a chair and rolled up the sleeves of my navy blue shirt. Walking back to the living room, I was about to sit down, when I heard the doorbell ring. I groaned, and slumped back into the hall, towards the door, pulling it open to find Kat on the other side.

"Kat, what are-?" I stopped when I saw the tears streaming from her eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked, concern starting to flood through my body.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to go," She began, her voice croaky from crying.

I stepped aside, and reached out, placing my hand on her upper arm and gently guiding her forwards, and inside.

"Kat, what is it? It's not Rox is it? Or Everly?... Sean?" I couldn't fight the rising panic in my voice as I half prepared myself to dive through the door.

She waved her hands in front of her and shook her head.

"No, no, they're fine. It's just... I.." She began to cry again.

I hated seeing her cry, I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her against me. I could feel the cold of her skin through the white t-shirt she was wearing, and rubbed my hand soothingly over her back to warm her up. She fitted in my arms so perfectly, her small body shook against me as she began to sob, her arms clutching at my back, whilst her tears began to soak through my shirt.

"Kit Kat, talk to me." I whispered.

She sniffed, but made no attempt to speak.

"Don't make me meow at you, Kitty." I teased.

A small laugh broke through the sobbing and she straightened up a bit, releasing her hold on me to wipe at her eyes.

"You know I hate it when you do that." She muttered with another sniffle. A tiny glimmer of amusement twinkled in her eyes. "I'm sorry Ev, I tried to find Sean, but him and Rox weren't home, I just-"

"Don't apologise, you can always come to me."

I pushed as much sincerity into the words as possible so that she would be in no doubt of how genuine I was.

"I lost a patient tonight. A kid."

The words came out as another choked sob. I could see the heartbreak in her eyes, and it crushed me to see her that way.

"Come on, let me go grab you a drink."

I turned her towards the living room and followed her in.

Kat took a seat on the sofa whilst I opened the liquor cabinet. Withdrawing a bottle of whiskey, and two glasses, I poured a good measurement in each, and left the bottle on the surface. I walked to the sofa where she sat and held out the glass, she barely glanced up before taking a large swig of the drink, and then wincing.