Recovery

Everything was dark and silent. I felt like I was asleep, but there was something off. Suddenly it all came rushing back, hitting me in a wave of sound, confusion and pain. Sirens were wailing and I was laying on a bed, I could tell we were moving before I even opened my eyes, and we were moving fast. My eyelids fluttered and immediately stung in the brightness of, what I realised, was an ambulance.

"Evan, can you hear me?" I heard a vaguely familiar sounding voice asking from beside me.

I managed a groan of response, opening my eyes.

"Yeah." I muttered.

"Good, you gave us a scare there for a minute."

I blinked, some of the blurriness finally easing off, and the man's face becoming clearer.

"Wait, I know you." I said, attempting to sit up, and failing as I realised I was practically bound to the stretcher, my neck fixed in a brace. "What the fuck?" I snapped moving my arms to try to free some part of myself.

"No, stay down. You need to keep still, besides Kat will kill me if we turn up and you're not still bound to this stretcher."

Kat?

It suddenly dawned on me who he was.

"Owen. You're erm..." I closed my eyes, trying to think. "Poppy. You're Poppy's guy." I managed to say.

"That's right, and a good sign that you remember." He added, lightly patting my shoulder.

"What, as in that I don't have memory loss?" I said snarkily, looking up at him, irritation at this whole situation, already beginning to bubble up inside of me.

"Nah, as in that you remember she's taken." He smirked.

I could tell he was joking, and tried to laugh, stopping pretty fast as a sharp pain hit me in the back of the neck.

"Ugh!"

"You're in pain?"

"Yeah, that joke was terrible."

He chuckled slightly then turned more serious, giving me a scrutinizing look.

"A bit, it's not too bad."

"Well hardly surprising, seems you took quite a hit. We're nearly there now."

I was already dreading the arrival at the hospital. I wanted to avoid exactly this kind of dramatic show. I knew Jamie would have called Roxy by now, and she was bound to be worried. Thankfully I didn't have to worry about my parents being summoned.

I felt the ambulance slow to a stop and the sirens were cut. I heard the rear doors open, followed by Owen reeling off a list of medical terms, and updating on my 'condition'. Irritation continued to build as I was removed from the ambulance, I hated not being able to get up and walk inside myself.

"I can walk." I snapped through the noise of their chatter. I tried to reach up again, but felt a small slap to the back of my hand followed by a woman's voice.

"Don't even think about it." Kat snapped back.

Oh brilliant.

They steered me into another room, and then stopped, beginning to remove the straps holding me onto the stretcher, and then moving me over onto the bed. The moment I was free, I went to move again.

"Kat, I mean it, let me up."

"Stop being the World's worst patient and let me check you over."

There was a slight quiver in her voice, it made me freeze. I couldn't see her face properly from the angle I was at, but it sounded almost as if she'd been crying. That couldn't be right though surely. I cooperated, laying my arms back at my sides, and sighing.