2~ Idle Town

The weekend came to a close, and the only thing keeping you awake was the 3 cups of Coffee you'd consumed upon the first 3 hours of your Monday morning. The cool September air hugged your body as you made your way into the school building. You felt a buzz from your back pocket. Pulling out your phone, you read the notification.

Conan Gray Tweeted:
"sometimes existing is a little too much"

You smiled. Sure, that wasn't something that most people would smile at, but you were different. You'd watched all of Conan's covers and videos for years, and when he gained recognition, you couldn't be happier. Conan's music was one of the only things that truly made you happy. You felt lost and alone in this gray world. You felt like nobody loved you.

And that was probably cause' nobody did.

As if on cue, a group of boys passed you, bumping into you and laughing.

"You'll never find anyone, you fuck up".

The one in the middle made eye contact with your slightly watery eyes after the words left his lips. His eyes were hollow and almost sad, he brushed it off and continued walking.

That was your ex best friend, Chris. You and him did everything together. Even though he couldn't see you in color, he loved you. He loved you more than he'd ever loved anything else before. It was all fine and lovely until he told you he loved you, and you told him that you wanted to wait for the color to show. He grew angry in seconds.

"You know that most people don't even find that, right?! That's just a bunch of fairy tale bullshit, (Y/n). Most people die before they even find their 'soulmate'. Just love me! Please...".

But you couldn't.

So he left, and shortly after he started to mess around with all the other girls in the school. You'd dodged a bullet, as it seemed. However, he still has, and will always have a soft spot for you.

Regardless, because of him the entire school doesn't think too well of you. Chris was very bitter, and he spread nasty rumors about you, none of which you cared to listen too.

So you didn't. You kept walking, popped your headphones in your ears and listened to Conan's soft voice filter through your headphones. Idle town rang through, and you find yourself wishing that you had grown up in his little town. Pictures of you by the smiling boy's side warmed your body, and you strained your mind to imagine what he'd look like in color, but all you've ever know is gray.

It was hard to focus on that though when all you could wish for right then was for the day to be over.

•••

In Living Color; a scientific guide to soulmates  and how our bodies react to them
by Dr. Mary Z. Hausen

Chapter 2: "The Inner Workings of the Human Eye"

The phenomenon occurs when two individuals have the exact same amount of color rods in the iris of their eyes, causing and affinity between the two, allowing the bodies to see the exact same combination of color. This is only possible between two people, never more. For this reason, some never find their "soulmates" because the chances of finding someone with the exact same eyes as you is extremely slim. That is two out of seven billion people that share the same structured eyes.

The sight of an eye identical to one's own prompts the mind to alert the senses, acting as a trigger, if you will, to the censors located behind the human eye - firing off its color receptors and causing shock to the body. Because the body is in shock from the new sensation, the overload of color and sensory detail is too much for the brain to manage at once. To give the body time to acclimate to the new knowledge, the brain tells the eyes to hold off, only allowing for color to be visible upon the opposing human until further signal is given to the brain.

A/N:
Don't worry, Conan will be in the story VERY soon. Next two chapters most likely. Gotta build some background first. <3