6~ Checkmate

• (Y/N)'s Point of View •

You had refused a hospital. Nothing could stand in your way of seeing Conan Gray, not even your damn death if you had anything to say about it. Even if, well even if you couldn't stand.

(B/f/n) looped her arm underneath your shoulders that were clad in your soft striped polo-like shirt. Each step closer to the venue felt like another weight dropped into your stomach, it hardly made any sense. What made even less sense though was why (B/f/n) didn't protest you when you expressed you wanted to pass on the hospital, and see Conan anyway. You would've thought that she would be adamant about your health, instead she said;

"I have a feeling this might help the problem, anyway".

The two of you inched your way into the venue, arriving just in time. The Fillmore was not at all what you'd expected. After passing security, your eyes quickly adjusted to the exciting lights and bustling activity. Seeing multiple different ways to go, and hearing more than one set being played, you were unsure of which way to take, and headed to the bar. A tall man with light brown stubble stood, pouring leftover liquid into a sink, and drying glasses. The man flicked the dusty hair out of his eyes, casting them up to meet (b/f/n)'s and then, more alarmingly, yours.

"Are you alright, Miss?"

"Yes", you breathed out.

"Could you tell us where Conan will be performing" (b/f/n) finished for you.

"Are you sure you don't nee-"

"She'll be fine. Which way is Conan".

The man pointed confusedly down a hallway leading to a small stage. Your good friend thanked him, and looped her arm back around you, guiding you towards the venue.

Immediately the rush of people started to become evident to you. They blurred together in shades of grey as the room shifted with the tempo of the opening act's music playing. Her set was uplifting and fun, and you actually thoroughly enjoyed it, even though you ached as you danced.

Her set was nearing an end, and she was thanking the crowd. The crowd was ecstatic and applauded her. She took her leave and the lights went dark. The room was pitch black except for the very soft light reflecting off of the instruments. The crowd murmured excitedly. You tried your best to find a spot where you could see clearly, but you were at the very back of the small, but dense room of people.

After waiting for a few, maybe fifteen minutes, the hum of a base guitar rang out, the drums pulsed with each beat, and you felt the music bumping through you. Another wave of pain hit you and you clenched your stomach and screamed, a few tears slipping from your eyes. Your screams were lost in the noise though, in the many screams of the hoard of girls and boys here to see your favorite musician. (B/f/n) tightened her arms around you, giving you more support. You tucked your head into her, looking at the ground of the venue.

The beat dropped.

The lights went completely dark, and the crowd gathered even tighter together than before, drawing closer to the stage. Your pulse quickened. Before you could even blink your eyes, the lights flashed back on, and there in the flesh was Conan Gray, leaning mostly onto a security guard, and being inched towards center stage, where the security guard set out a stool for him.

•  (B/f/n)'s Point of View •

(B/f/n) could not believe her eyes, there he was, the man her best friend had been talking about for years, doubled over a security guard. She'd expected to find someone else like that here, but not the Conan Gray. She smiled for her friend, because she knew how happy she would be, but then she was worried about how this would even work, with all these people in their way to the stage. She pulled the girl up to meet her eyes from being tucked into her chest.