o. a night to remember

✧⁺❀ P r o l o g u e . . .

Lola Kissinger was bored. She was laying, with her legs outstretched on her sofa, which due to its extensive service to the girl, had turned from a pristine colour to a shade of off-white. Two mismatched cushions (one red and the other yellow) were behind her, propping her up and defending her from the side, which would otherwise be digging into her back. She held the television remote firmly in her hand with her thumb hovering over the 'switch channel' button and had it pointed at the TV on the other side of the room.

It was 11pm and just so happened to be one of those nights where she didn't know what to do with herself.

She had been forced to endure conversation with her mother on the phone for the previous hour, discussing her so-called bad life choices and how she was not pushing herself to her limits. Lola would normally refute these statements, but didn't see the point in starting a heated debate with her mum which would only end in tears and sobs from the other side of the call. So instead, she had mindlessly agreed to anything her mother condemned her of.

When the phone call ended, much to her great relief, Lola had desperately looked for something which could occupy her, but to no avail. Everything she thought of seemed boring and when something would catch her attention, it never managed to maintain it. She had even spent a good ten minutes pacing around her apartment, just pondering life and begging the night to come, so she could go to sleep.

That was why, with nothing to do, she had thrown herself on to the sofa and was jadedly flicking from channel to channel. She had skimmed through Netflix, but everything seemed uninteresting and if anything did appear to be entertaining, she had already watched it. After being unable to find anything new, Lola had decided she would rewatch Doctor Who, but when seeing it again for the seventh time, it had lost some of the magic. So after ten seconds of yelling and running, it was switched off and she was back to channel-surfing.

A couple of game shows, such as the Chase and Pointless, a few old films on the free channels, because Lola couldn't afford Sky Cinema, some re-runs of Only Fools and Horses and Blackadder, a couple of cookery shows too. Nothing that enthralling though.

She paused for a few seconds on Kitchen Nightmares USA. It was always amusing to listen to Gordon Ramsay verbally attack some poor sod. However, what never ceased to amaze her was the fact that every single time, regardless of how unhygienic the restaurant was and how revolting the food was, the owner was always insistent upon the fact that they were incredible at cooking and specialised in fine dining.

Lola didn't mind the American version of the show - in fact she rather liked it, but to her, the British version was far better. England might rain all the time and some of the people might be in a permanent mood, but she loved it. She was born in Sheffield and had lived there all her life. It wasn't the largest city and was relatively unassuming, but it was home and she wouldn't change it for the world.